Citra leaf

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got 2 bags of citra leaf recently
And it had this stink like smelly socks
Normally when I smell pellets I'm like oooooo that smells good
Is leaf different or does anyone know is it stale maybe

***** I made a brew with it just thought it was normal hope its drinkable

Got 2 bags of citra leaf recently
And it had this stink like smelly socks
Normally when I smell pellets I'm like oooooo that smells good
Is leaf different or does anyone know is it stale maybe
Having some considerable experience of smelly socks, I can assure you there's a whole spectrum of pongs ranging from the cheesy (if they smell cheesy, dump them) through the rancid (ditto) to a more exotic fragrance which is something akin to (not too old) B.O. babies' nappies and skunk weed all rolled into one. Citra always has a whiff of the last,m in my experience, whether pellet or leaf. How old are they, by the way? was the vacuum still intact or had it "blown"?
Most importantly, is this your first experience with Citra?

One bag was damaged other I opened and it smelled the same so I used them I only got them couple 2or 3 weeks ago

I’ve just started a boil right now, new Mandarina Bavaria hops from malt miller bought last month and still in their unopened foil in my freezer. 2020 harvest. I just opened them to weigh out - They stink, very cheesy. Too far in to abort the mission… Let’s see.

Fingers crossed.
A new pack of pellets shouldn't smell cheesy.
That's an interesting combination of hops. What're you brewing.

I made a SMaSH with Mandarina Bavaria a year or so ago hoping to get the aromas which are claimed for it. I must say I was very disappointed by the hop. Nothing unpleasant- just, nothing very much. Maybe I should have made a pilsner type beer as it's a Hüll hop. Hope it works out better for you.
Good luck

I made a SMaSH with Mandarina Bavaria a year or so ago hoping to get the aromas which are claimed for it. I must say I was very disappointed by the hop. Nothing unpleasant- just, nothing very much. Maybe I should have made a pilsner type beer as it's a Hüll hop. Hope it works out better for you.
Good luck

I had the same underwhelming experience with Mandarina Bavaria. Thought it was just me 😁

A third disappointment here with Mandarina - it was just an orangey cascade to me.

To the OP I had a similar situation with a bag of Nelson leaf recently. I kegged the beer yesterday so fingers crossed!

Stale hops tend to develop a cheesy smell. Best way to test leaf hops is to take a cone or two in your hands and rub hands back and forth for 15 secs or so to generate some friction and heat, then smell.

People have different interpretations of aromas, I get a cat pee note from Citra (along with the tropical fruit and citrus).

Stale hops tend to develop a cheesy smell. Best way to test leaf hops is to take a cone or two in your hands and rub hands back and forth for 15 secs or so to generate some friction and heat, then smell.

People have different interpretations of aromas, I get a cat pee note from Citra (along with the tropical fruit and citrus).
Mm might be all right so

Good luck

Yep, I ended up discovering it goes nicely as the only hop addition in a Patersbier. This is an uninspiring looking thing in the recipe, but is actually a very pleasant, elemental beer.

Hops that smell cheesy - suggestion is to make a hop "tea" @ 65C from a small number of them and taste the tea shortly afterwards and then again the following morning, to get some idea of what they might do to your beer.

Latest posts

Back