Cleaning a syphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
There are probably reasons for not doing this, or maybe it's brilliant. I have no idea. But it worked a treat tonight.
But I am someone who struggles to get my syphons clean, especially the small one I use for bottling. Gunk always seems to get stuck and they start growing things.
I am a trombone player and I use these flexible cleaning snakes to clean out the trombone tubing. Light bulb moment! Used a brand new one to clean out the syphon and it worked a treat.

I cut the end of a small funnel down until the soft part of the tube just fits I then pour lots of hot water through it as soon as I have finished using it I do the same when sterelising.

Hi!
I use a dedicated garden pressure spray modified to take syphon tubing.
Wilko's garden wire wrapped around a tiny piece of sponge acts as a very good "pull-through" for attacking gunk trapped in the tube.

I am a trombone player and I use these flexible cleaning snakes to clean out the trombone tubing. Light bulb moment! Used a brand new one to clean out the syphon and it worked a treat.

Former trumpet player here...I remember the type of brush you are talking about but won't it scratch the inside of the tubing? I know the spec in your link says that it won't scratch the instrument when cleaning but they are metal not plastic/silicon. I'm pretty sure that the brushes I used to use for my trumpet many years ago would leave scuffs and abrasions.

Yeah, I was wondering that. (hence why it seems like perhaps not the best idea, though it did really clean the gunk out!) It seemed okay, but hard to tell if if microscratches happened. I think I will try and wrap it in sponge material next time.

Thanks folks. I am definitely trying to go for the clean thoroughly after use and will try the turkey baster/force water down there method.

I just rinse out after use then sanitise when needed.

Something I'm careful of is making sure it is dry before storage. I dumped one hose as water pooled in a bend and went mouldy.

I Basically transfer the beer to the bottling bucket via the siphon then the fv gets an initial clean and rinse. Then fill the FV with a bleach solution and let sit for 10 mins with all the bits and bobs in including the siphon. I then run the bleach out via the siphon, and rinse every thing well. then refill the FV with clean water and let sit for 10 mins and re-run everything out via the siphon.

Might sound a lot, but in reality takes about 25 mins and I know everything is clean ready for the next brew prior to starsaning it al.

The hoses can be a real git to dry after rinsing. It's OK in summer when I can hang them out on the washing line in full sun but in winter it seems even the airing cupboard doesn't dry them quickly. Best I can do is to ensure the last rinse is with Starsan so nothing's going to grow in the little droplets if they take a while to evaporate.

Latest posts

Back