Cleaning kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished my first corny style keg off and looking to clean it out ready for the next batch. I am trying to remove the posts to dismantle and soak in PBW overnight but they seem to be very stubborn to come off. Before I go ahead and apply some silly torque I just wanted to check the are removable and they are normal threads (anti clockwise to unscrew)?

Not sure what brand it is - I got it reconditioned. it is the type with the double O-ring seal if that helps. Hopefully the removal of the posts is the same across all different brands and types.

Thanks.

Any pics just to make sure we know what type
If it is a standard corny shouldn't be a problem

Sure. Photo's attached. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4629.jpg
    IMG_4629.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 41
You do not need to strip the posts down every brew unless you are anal as long as you have a good clean and sanitation regime.
If you want to flush the outpost/dip tube as that's the only place beer comes out of you can use a syringe and screwdriver to press the post down and syringe down it to flush it through with cleaning fluid then sanitiser if you want.
Stripping down the post too much can damage the threads and eventually render the keg useless so every 4/5 times is enough IMO as long as you clean them pretty quickly after they are empty so crud does not become cemented onto the inner of the keg.
No doubt you will get conflicting advice by the anal crew but its your choice which way you go

Ps the branding is usually stamped on the metal side of the keg in most cases

Yep I only strip after a good few brews I normally soak when empty for a few hours rinse then throw a liter of sanitizer in and run it through my tap to ensure all is sanitized and refil

When mine are empty i rinse them out put some cleaner in gas to 10psi and fit the tap and flush it through the line and tap then rinse again, i leave the cleaner in the line fill with beer and run it untill beer comes out

OK sound good. I've got a solution of PBW in a garden sprayer with a carb cap on it so can push that through the liquid post to fill the keg, leave it overnight and rinse, sanitise.

I do
1) water rinse of keg when empty
2) PBW soak
3) Run the PBW through my lines and tap
4) Water rinse of keg
5) Run water through my lines and tap
6) Starsan rinse of keg
7) Run Starsan through my lines and tap
8) Fill keg with beer, install and leave until carbed

Thanks South Downs. Do you clean your lines during consumption of beer from the keg? I mean if it takes a good 4 weeks or so to get through a keg do you do a weekly line and tap clean? I was considering getting some purple line cleaner for this.

I clean my lines after each keg, and between if it is taking a very long time to finish - I mix up a litre of warm water and sanitiser in a 2 litre bottle, add pressure with a carbonation cap and the run through the line, then a run of water and then just some gas to blast through. Then run beer tasting as I go - usually fine but first time it was a little soapy so now I do the water too.

If the lines are looking grubby I leave sanitiser in over night or longer before rinsing through.

I think pubs would say I leave it too long, but I'm too lazy.

Maybe I'm a little lax, but I only clean my lines when I remember! Maybe once every 6 months! Haven't had a problem yet 🤷‍♂️.
Cleaning kegs I don't generally dismantle. My view if the beer can get to it when assembled the cleaner will too. Again haven't had any problems in a few years.

I don't do any line clean while a keg is on. If I haven't had a beer for a few days, I might run a small volume to drain just to purge what was in the line, but that is about it. I consider it to be a closed system. I have a keg running that I put on in at the end of May. It still tastes good.

Just finished my first corny style keg off and looking to clean it out ready for the next batch. I am trying to remove the posts to dismantle and soak in PBW overnight but they seem to be very stubborn to come off. Before I go ahead and apply some silly torque I just wanted to check the are removable and they are normal threads (anti clockwise to unscrew)?

Not sure what brand it is - I got it reconditioned. it is the type with the double O-ring seal if that helps. Hopefully the removal of the posts is the same across all different brands and types.

Thanks.
Yes it's a normal thread. A 22mm flexible head ratchet spanner fits nicely over the post.

I take the liquid post off for a soak when cleaning. The thread seems to be designed to stop suddenly when tightening to prevent damage to the o ring on top of the dip tube that it tightens down on to.

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning too. Once a keg is empty then I rinse it with water and a good hose to get any remnants out. Then I put a couple of litres of StarSan in it - give it a good shake. Leave for 10 mins or so, give it another shake. Leave it, then I connect it up to the line it just came off of, attach gas and run it through the tap until the keg is "spluttering". Never had any problem with this approach and been doing it for 2-3 years now? Put me in the lazy camp.

I do
1) water rinse of keg when empty
2) PBW soak
3) Run the PBW through my lines and tap
4) Water rinse of keg
5) Run water through my lines and tap
6) Starsan rinse of keg
7) Run Starsan through my lines and tap
8) Fill keg with beer, install and leave until carbed
Spot on. I do exactly the same steps.
I dismantle the keg for deep cleaning of the posts probably once every 4 or so brews which given the number of kegs I have its probably every 10 -12 months.

I guess I have to streamline my process, as I do 30 mins cleaning, 30 mins rinsing with the kegwasher. Then sanitise manually.☺️

I'm pretty much the same as others above -

1. Rinse the keg out well
2. Add hot PBW for a soak with occasional shaking
3. Maybe run some of that through the beer lines/taps
4. Rinse and then fill with sanitiser before purging with CO2.

I only take the posts off if I think there might be hops stuck in there.

Latest posts

Back