Clearing Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisbrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently made my first brew (Bohemian Blonde Pils from Beerworks). I barrelled it over a week ago so now the instructions recommend moving somewhere cool to clear. My question is will the beer still clear if I leave it at room tempertaure? My house is probably sitting at around 20c and don't have anywhere outside I could put barrel. I have a second fridge which I could probably empty to put the barrel in but this won't please my wife!

If the beer will clear at room temp, I'm happy to leave it for now. If it would be quicker to clear in the fridge I might just move it in the fridge temporarily.
In future I plan to brew IPA and ale. Do these still need to be cooled for clearing?

Thanks, any help would be great

Hi there,

I have an understairs cupboard I use that is usually a good 5 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Do you have a cupoard (not an airing cupboard) you could use? I think some people wrap in wet towels to help cool. I know they do this at my local beer festival.

If you have anything big enough to sit the barrel in, you could put some cold water into that and add ice cubes every day or so? I was going to suggest standing it in the bath, but your wife would probably be even less pleased with that!

In my experience nearly all beers clear with time, irrespective of temperature. lower tempertaures just means its quicker to clear.
So if, for example, you follow the 2+2+2 rule, by the time four weeks from packaging is finished your beer should be more or less clear if not fully clear. But if you want to start drinking two weeks on you may not be drinking clear beer beer at this time of year without cooling.

Latest posts

Back