Co-pitching lactobacillus and brewing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alefric LeHendz

Reaction score
I'm looking to attempt to brew a lichtenhainer in the coming months and was considering co-pitching lactobacillus(helveticus pitch) with a German ale yeast (k-97), then adding a hop tea after 1.5/2 weeks. Does anyone know if this would work?

Good luck with this, it's not a style I've ever tasted but then I don't really like smoked beers. I don't see why your plan wouldn't work, why the hop tea though?

Good luck with this, it's not a style I've ever tasted but then I don't really like smoked beers. I don't see why your plan wouldn't work, why the hop tea though?
That was instead of adding them at the boil, to prevent them inhibiting the lactobacillus. Based on some other advice I've seen I think I'll pitch the bacteria a few days ahead of the yeast to give it a head start.

Should work. Wildbrew Philly Sour Yeast may be worth looking at as an alternative. It's a non-sacchromyces yeast that produces lactic acid and alcohol.

Back