Collecting Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dro

Reaction score
I have PET bottles for my first ever home brew but in the meantime I have started to collect glass ones. Which I am thoroughly enjoying.

Attachments

• 20200418_171155.jpg
    20200418_171155.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 100
What kinda capper you got? The Hobgoblin bottles slow me down during my capping runs but you're sort of like "Oh aye, Hobgoblin, we meet again!" yet he is bested after you get him in a headlock.

What kinda capper you got? The Hobgoblin bottles slow me down during my capping runs but you're sort of like "Oh aye, Hobgoblin, we meet again!" yet he is bested after you get him in a headlock.
😂😂😂Haven't got as far as a capper yet! Will need to save up another 42 bottles! Will make a written note of how awkward Hobgoblins can be though!

I've found the most important consideration is ease of removing labels. Of the beers I like and drink most often, Erdinger and And Union labels are dead easy. Farmegeddon is a nightmare, and I don't even try any more.
It's worth getting as many of a single type or style, as I discovered when I got a bench capper. It means a single height setting can do the bulk of your brew.

I've found the most important consideration is ease of removing labels. Of the beers I like and drink most often, Erdinger and And Union labels are dead easy. Farmegeddon is a nightmare, and I don't even try any more.
It's worth getting as many of a single type or style, as I discovered when I got a bench capper. It means a single height setting can do the bulk of your brew.
That's great advice. Those Bass bottles look great, not that it matters how they look. But I have brewed a few batches of wine for the wife and some of the wine bottles were a nightmare to get the labels off.

+1 on bench

Also beware of bottles that are weirdly taller than all the other ones, it can be a pain when you have one bottle that doesn't fit properly in your box.

I recommend the stainless steel scourers as much the best thing for removing labels and glue - much better than Brillo pads or nylon scourers.

Try to avoid bottles with foil on (like Becks), it's not difficult, just fiddly to remove as it comes off in lots of little pieces.

Rather than put up with the delays at the main homebrew places, I suggest someone like this guy (no affiliation) might be a better bet if you just want a capper and caps. Worth getting 1 or 2k whilst you're about it - I suggest a pale colour(s) as writing on the cap with marker is a convenient way to identify bottles.

+1 with regards to alistair's advice of getting a bench capper
For the sake of a few quid more, they make life so much easier.

Nowt wrong with pet bottles either though, when i bottle with them, I use a damp tea towel and tighten the bejesus out of them wink...

+1 on bench

Also beware of bottles that are weirdly taller than all the other ones, it can be a pain when you have one bottle that doesn't fit properly in your box.

I recommend the stainless steel scourers as much the best thing for removing labels and glue - much better than Brillo pads or nylon scourers.

Try to avoid bottles with foil on (like Becks), it's not difficult, just fiddly to remove as it comes off in lots of little pieces.

Rather than put up with the delays at the main homebrew places, I suggest someone like this guy (no affiliation) might be a better bet if you just want a capper and caps. Worth getting 1 or 2k whilst you're about it - I suggest a pale colour(s) as writing on the cap with marker is a convenient way to identify bottles.
That's great advice thanks. I have saved that to my bookmarks. I would never have known about that so its great to be a member of this forum for this kind of information.

Nowt wrong with pet bottles either though, when i bottle with them, I use a damp tea towel and tighten the bejesus out of them
I’ll now bottle a few in PET bottles, and give them a squeeze before putting the caps on. As they carbonation progresses up they pop out and you can feel the pressure build over the next week or two.
And, when the competitions restart, I’ll have something easier and safer to stick in the post.

+1 with regards to alistair's advice of getting a bench capper
For the sake of a few quid more, they make life so much easier.

Nowt wrong with pet bottles either though, when i bottle with them, I use a damp tea towel and tighten the bejesus out of them wink...
Its PET Coopers bottles I have. No choice really. They look great. Thanks for the advice.

And you can squeeze all the air out of them before you screw the cap down. Cant do that with a glass bottle.

yup, i do exactly that when i use the pet bottles clapa
should be a given for everyone really.
cheers terry

Its PET Coopers bottles I have. No choice really. They look great. Thanks for the advice.
Just make sure that you have tightened the caps really tight otherwise I have found they leak pressure. As previously mentioned, use a tea towel or similar to hold the cap to get a good grip.

Also I second the idea that ease of label removal is a major consideration. Family pass empty bottles to me and I know which ones to put straight in the recycling bin...

The best bottles to collect are the St peters one. Really nice bottles if your into them, I really like the flask shaped one's

Forego caps and cappers altogether and collect swing top bottles such as 450ml grolsch bottles. Makes bottling up a much easier ordeal.

erdinger for the win... east to remove labels, good beer inside caps easy & strong brown bottles capable of holding for example...err... wheat beer

wychwood (hobgoblin) bottles are the wooden spoon booby prize.

Latest posts

Back