Converting a regular keg to a corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waddo10

Reaction score
Looking into getting some regular pub cellar kegs (Sanke kegs) and converting them to a corny keg set up to force carb and filter the beer. I am currently knocking out about 60 litres a week and would require 3 to 4 cornys to store the beer to force carb for a week. Looking around online it looks like I will need to get some threaded fittings fitted to the regular keg and the associated corny keg bits to take off and on. Has anyone done this before or could point me in the correct direction. Been googling for a while and can't find anyone who has done this before.

You may be buying the kegs from a supplier but if you have found someone selling pub kegs could i draw your attention to the post below.

28863c_01645c94ac24430ca23a80eaca6d96b2.png

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (beer barrels) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Keg Watch Limited is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.

If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.

Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorised destruction of containers.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line called Keg Line for any general queries or information you may have on our new number 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your kegs or casks uplifted? Phone the Keg Line now.

probably a lot easier to simply switch to using sankey type connectors, ebay can supply US style sankey S couplers with a built in prv for easy keg venting, but you can also just slacken off the duck bill retaining nut after disconnecting co2 with a more basic prv-less coupler, its just a bit more faff..

spear removal from a sankey keg with a 5p coin is covered by utubes galore,

just be 100% sure there is no contained pressure before you attempt spear removal ;)

Well, i did not know you can convert the actual Sankey connectors ha. Cheers guys.
Makes life a lot easier.
SO, Sankey keg, Sankey keg connector, ball lock conversion kit, Blichmann quick carb and bobs your uncle.

The kegs will be purchased brand new, nothing illegal going on here haha.

Much appreciated for the help.

Just saw this post and noted the part about Keg Watch. But I know a small brewer near me who has plastic kegs which I am guessing were brought in to stop thieves. I would imagine they are the same connector as normal kegs, so would that connector work on them as I was thinking of asking him if I could borrow one for my brews and maybe get a pump etc

Well, i did not know you can convert the actual Sankey connectors ha. Cheers guys.
Makes life a lot easier.
SO, Sankey keg, Sankey keg connector, ball lock conversion kit, Blichmann quick carb and bobs your uncle.

The kegs will be purchased brand new, nothing illegal going on here haha.

Much appreciated for the help.

the main issue with 'sankey' kegs is the spear removal AND ensuring there is no pressure within the keg before spear removal is attempted, Removing a spear with even a moderate pressure in a keg can be LETHAL!

Btw beer fountains are much more easily created with sankey kegs than with cornies ;)

there is protection employed to stop joe blogs without a hyper expensive spear extraction tools from pulling spears but afaik a 5p coin can be used to fool these systems and a pair of pliers can remove them from an extracted spear, and afaik they arrive as separates ;) fwiw Im still on cornies but also use a few poly kegs (30l pet bottles with sankey S connections) so im just repeating what ive read about spear removal.

If buying US style couplers from the US via ebay be mindful of the VAT on import thresholds, unlike far east sellers americans lurve filling in customs forms accurately

I think the corny conversion things only fit the American/Aussie size Sankey couplers (5/8 thread) so check before you buy them. The Malt Miller Sankey couplers are 5/8 (they also sell the converters). They do work great and I also use them on the back of my tap shanks, it lets you switch kegs easily, clean them easily and use carb caps/counter pressure fillers without disturbing the keg.

Old thread, but in case anyone else is looking to do a commercial keg coupler ball lock conversion as I was, I thought I’d share my experience.

@F00b4r is right, all the direct ball lock converters I could find are for American style 5/8” NTP fittings, which won’t help you if you have a UK coupler (1/2”). 5/8” NPT to 1/2” BSP adapters also seem to be pretty much non-existent…

After a ridiculous amount of back and forth I eventually found a pair of 1/4” thread ball lock posts (standard is 19/32”-18 UNF apparently…)
and some female:female 1/4” to 1/2” BSP adapters on AliExpress - worked a charm!

Kegland Gas Ball Lock Post with 1/4 Inch BSP Bulkhead Assembly HOMEBREW
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP5EUwm
Kegland Liquid Ball Lock Post with 1/4 Inch BSP Bulkhead Assembly HOMEBREW
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mslUgrY
BSP Female x Female Thread Brass Pipe Fittings Hex Nut Rod Connector Coupling
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLiM2Bg

Attachments

• 1A8AD283-A4AA-4CE6-9CC7-CE5227AD8CB6.jpeg
    1A8AD283-A4AA-4CE6-9CC7-CE5227AD8CB6.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 14
Back