Coopers Irish Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Seven kit types in and this has bubbled right to the top!

It's a one can kit to which you are encouraged to add a combination of brewing sugar and spraymalt. I brewed mine using 300g dark spraymalt and 500g medium instead.

This gave me a lowish (but suspect, I don't think I mixed well enough after the final addition of water) OG but the beer doesn't suffer from that at all. Having polished off a couple I suspect the ABV came out around 3.5-4%.

From a recommendation on the forum I decided to prime with black treacle. I prefer a bit more fizz in my beer than some so used 110g to batch prime before bottling.

The finished beer (3 weeks at fermentation temp in the bottle - no time at all in the cold yet) is near black, has excellent mouthfeel, and tastes devine. There is the subtlest hint of the treacle flavours left in the aftertaste once you've been through the roasted maltiness of the stout which many have said, and I have to agree, is a far more pleasant flavour than Guinness...

...and that's without being conditioned in a colder environment at all! I can only assume that this is going to get even better!

Done this one as a change to my usual coopers stout, Made up with 1kg of Med spraymalt. It is a nice beer with some earthy flavours coming through however not as good as the original in my opinion.

hi
does anyone have the instructions for brewing this kit as i have lost mine and i was hoping to get it under way this weekend
cheers

cheers tazuk
got it set away on sunday and its bubbling away nicely in the diningroom.
just used dark spray malt and brewing sugar, cant wait for it to finish :geek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

**** just realized that i have put to much brewing sugar in,what will this do??
the brews not over flowing in the fv, just bubbling away nicely
will it mean that its just going to be sweet,
THOUGHT I HAD A 500G BAG BUT HAD A 1KG silly me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
is there owt i can do or should i let it run its course???

longshotkickdebucket said:
**** just realized that i have put to much brewing sugar in,what will this do??
the brews not over flowing in the fv, just bubbling away nicely
will it mean that its just going to be sweet,
THOUGHT I HAD A 500G BAG BUT HAD A 1KG silly me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
is there owt i can do or should i let it run its course???

Remember dancing to your username in the Adelphi Ballroom,West Bromwich circa 1969 before it got burned down :oops:

Should be ok ,just be a little stronger than expected and take a little longer to ferment out.

It is no big deal. Don't worry. You will end up with a slightly stronger brew is all. Probably round about 0.5-1.0% ABV stronger.

its been in the fv 6 days looked like it had stopped so i dropped the hydrometer in it and got a reading of 1020 does this mean that it is still fermenting??

its been in the fv 6 days looked like it had stopped so i dropped the hydrometer in it and got a reading of 1020 does this mean that it is still fermenting??

dropped to 1012 now looking good :D :D :D :D

after 4 days at 1010 i kegged it last night had a quick snifter and it tasted lovely....

cant wait for it to condition, wonder what the strength will be :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

after 4 days at 1010 i kegged it last night had a quick snifter and it tasted lovely....

cant wait for it to condition, wonder what the strength will be :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Do you know the starting gravity? If so you can work it out now you know the FG.

Every time I read a review Im gagging for a taste and thinking to myself "I'll do that next"!

Currently up to about 10 that are definitely going to be the next one. :wha:

I just put this one on, can recommends 300g dextrose and 500g light spraymalt. I followed his but upped the dextrose to 500g - trying to run close to the recommendation for he first one so I get a guideline for te future.

Looks so smooth when mixed together, gorgeous. The can recommends that you pitch colder in warmer temps and hotter in colder temps. As we are in horrible muggysville at he moment I just went middle of the road and topped to 23 litres. Can't wait till the much documented krausen kicks off!

when it comes to fg I will be bottling this into 500ml glass bottles -can I please get some recommendations on what to prime with and how much? I'm just used to a heaped half teaspoon with lagers and blondes and don't wan this to be very fizzy but as you would expect an ace stout to taste!

Thanks in advance

Just had a first early taste of this. I brewed mine with 500g demerara sugar and 500g dark spraymalt, and batch primed with 100g black treacle. Bottles were left at room temp for 2 weeks, and up until now just a week in a cooler place under the stairs.

First of all, before tasting I was disappointed that there was no hint of a head on the beer at all when poured. Hopefully this will improve with more time kept cool. The taste however is delicious, and mouthfeel is lovely and smooth. I can definitely taste the treacle, and I don't think i'd like to use a can or half can as some others have - the small priming amount is perfect for taste.

I'm looking forward to trying this again in a few weeks when hopefully there will be more of a head on it when poured, would be interesting to hear how others have found it?

Cheers :cheers:

Just brewed this up with 1KG or dark spraymalt, a 450g tin of black treacle and about 100g demarara sugar.

OG: 1.050 :party:

Did anyone else add treacle at the beginning? You all seem to have primed with it.

Mine is going into the King Keg after 7 days fermenting, then another 2 weeks in the keg. Hopefully ready for Paddy's day :party:

Probably just prime with demarara.

Hopefully as this post is only from a few weeks ago, I can't be accused of thread necromancy (Go have a look at moneysavingexpert - I saw a 2006 post dragged up the other day).

I'm looking to do this imminently, however, the recommendation is 1kg of BE and 500g of Light DME.

So surely

300g dark spraymalt and 500g medium

is going to leave this short?

This is one of those where I really need some help with ingredients - let me explain.

I'm a big fan of Irish stout (creamy, thick head, but also warm flavours and not too bitter).
I'm not a big fan of English stout (fizzy, can be bitter, almost like a dark beer).

So folks, any ideas?

Might result in it being a little weaker, but I suppose that depends on how many litres you make.

You can see from my post before yours the ingredients I used. I brewed a little short to about 21 litres and OG was 1.050.

If you want it less fizzy then prime with less sugar. I used about 80g of demarara in the keg. Wasn't too fizzy, but you could go with less maybe. Mine has no head at all but that is the keg's fault. Won't hold pressure. That and the fact that I'm drinking it a month before I should be.

Latest posts

Back