Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant say which to use one over the other as only got my first one on the go, but would have thought more malt the better.

As for the yeast, I simply pitched it in and within 24hrs it was going like a train.

Yes, just use the malt - as you say, the more malt the better. You could add the sugar too but be careful as it'll be climbing out of your FV as it gets very lively. The Coopers kit yeast is fine.

I just found a rogue bottle of Coopers Stout in the back of the fridge - exactly 1 year old. Lovely it was too.

I've got another one to go on, anyone used hops with this kit? I know stouts aren't hoppy, just wondering if you could add any to subtly improve it even more?

Hello all,
having read this thread about the Coopers stout I'm inspired to make this my second brew after the Wherry has finished. Picked up a tin this morning from Wilco for a tenner and a kilo of medium spray malt as that's all they had,also got some brewing sugar. Just wondering. .should I bung in all the spray malt and 500g of the sugar or just the malt? And....is the supplied yeast good to go?

regards

Clint

With just the spraymalt is will have quite a thick mouthfeel, with the added sugar it will thin it a bit and make it a bit stronger, and it will probably need a bit more conditioning time. Personally I would use the sugar too, but either way will be good. I've never had a problem with the Cooper's yeast. Much better than the Muntons one that comes with the Wherry. No need to switch it for anything else, as its pretty neutral and the Stout gets its flavour from the dark wort.

Tried one at the weekend and it was like a lovely treacle! Be grand in a few weeks.

. . . if it lasts that long :grin:

I've got a Coopers Stout with lactose added in the brewfridge; it's been cooling for a few weeks now, since I had an unfortunate accident which required stitches in my ankle; hobbling so badly that SWMBO won't let me transfer from the FV into a keg. There's also some cacao nibs marinating in vodka which I intend to add to the keg along with a Brambling Cross hop tea when I finally get permission to proceed. Chocolate Milk Stout - I hope it's OK for the long time in the primary.

a32ba43b5d9d0aa7f327a91de0cb9bd0.jpg
this is mine, brewed with a youngs brew enhancer, I'm very pleased with it

I'm making this next, got the kit + a Coopers brew enhancer #2. Going to stick with that for now and then if I like it will start to experiment a bit next time around. Really looking forward to trying it :D

Well 3 weeks in and I'm very pleasantly surprised, add a bag of granulated sugar and its turned out lovely, first of the coopers kits I've tried and its an absolute bargain, just got their mexican cerveza kit which I'll do next but with a few extras I think.

I'm making this next, got the kit + a Coopers brew enhancer #2. Going to stick with that for now and then if I like it will start to experiment a bit next time around. Really looking forward to trying it :D

I think ill do this one too next as I plan to leave it to condition til Sept time.
this will be my first coopers stout and want to keep it simple. no black strap this time!
got a extra dark spray malt to use Im sure this will be adequate with a few hundred grams of demerha sugar?

Brewed this short to 18l with 1kg muntons medium DME and 250g Golden Syrup. Didn't take OG, and am having difficulty getting it below 1014. Been in the FV for 2 weeks, and has clearly finished so will bottle tomorrow (would keg if I had one!). Looking forward to a sample in a couple of weeks. :twisted:

Brewed this short to 18l with 1kg muntons medium DME and 250g Golden Syrup. Didn't take OG, and am having difficulty getting it below 1014. Been in the FV for 2 weeks, and has clearly finished so will bottle tomorrow (would keg if I had one!). Looking forward to a sample in a couple of weeks. :twisted:

1.014 seems to be normal for a shorter batch. did you get much krausen? I may go for 20litres

1.014 seems to be normal for a shorter batch. did you get much krausen? I may go for 20litres

Cheers. It was quiet for 24 hrs, then went crazy. Really aggressive ferment with thick krausen that was ( just) contained by the FV. Will update with a taste test in a couple of weeks.

Just binned a Coopers Irish Stout tonight. Only my second brew and after reading this three am expecting great things. I called into Wilko's today for some other bits and picked up the Coopers stout whilst I was there, not sure what the difference is to be honest, I will report back.

I used 500grm DME and 500grm of dextrose brewing sugar and got an OG of 1040. went for 23 litres this time. May do a smaller brew on the other kit.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

Well bottled mine last night and well impressed with the sample that was left. tasted just like a flat Guinness, so should be good one carbed and left for a bit.

I bottled the other week a coopers mexican cerveza and it has turned out bloody fantastic. I made it 4 litres short and here's the other thing my chubby fingers dropped the yeast provided and lost about half of it so i topped up with wilco's basic ale yeast and voila I had what you would call a golden ale turn out. Not as sweet with a slight ale taste. It has gone down really well with everyone especialy from the fridge. Also did a coopers stout with an added pot of coffee lovely. I have found that making them a little short works really well.

What are you all using for secondary carbonation when bottling? And how much?

I made one of the Coopers Irish Stouts earlier in the year. I was told to halve my carbonation rate. I couldn't bring myself to halve it, so half, plus some.
Way under carbonated. Never again. The Coopers website seem to use 2 carb drops per 750ml bottle on their recipes.

What are you all using for secondary carbonation when bottling? And how much?

I made one of the Coopers Irish Stouts earlier in the year. I was told to halve my carbonation rate. I couldn't bring myself to halve it, so half, plus some.
Way under carbonated. Never again. The Coopers website seem to use 2 carb drops per 750ml bottle on their recipes.
I use the carbonation drops. Two per 740ml bottle as per instruction. Not got the stout bottled yet but have a lager maturing using the same method and they seem fine. The bottles are rock hard after four days.

Well I have got the Best Brewery equipment from the reputed brewery supplier Abbeychart. The Uk's leading supplier provides the best Beer Engines. I got the Copper Original stout Kit here. Worth brewing Kit.

Back