Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm got a tin of black treacle and 500g musavado sugar sitting in the cupboard, may try same as you Linalmeemow

Ive done two in a row with enhancer and a couple of spoons of black treacle. Both turned out excellent. Brewed it short at about 19ltrs, came out about 5%

Well its done, gone for just addng the enhancer 1 and a tin of black treacle, 23 ltr, sg 1.043. fingers crossed

Coopers Stout
23L - 20/06/15 - 04/07/15 22-25c (no temp control, just summer temps)
Re-used trub from previous brew using Mauribrew yeast
1kg Youngs BE, 454g Lyons black treacle
39g German Cascade hops (all I had left of them) 20m boil and then tea and bag added to FV
4Tbsp Lavazza Prontissimo instant coffee in a cup of hot water added to FV
OG: 1066 (A bit more than I was expecting but what the hell)

The taste in the trial jar was very nice, very dark and rich, yet another one I'm looking forward to.

Picked up a can via tesco clubcard boost so �£7 or so! Planning on using a combination of dark spraymalt and treacle.

Tesco deals are great, £7 is less than I pay buying in bulk from my wholesaler!
Ive done this one twice with enhancer and black treacle and once with half sugar, half dark spraymalt (tho I added organic cocoa beans & vanilla pods to the last one instead of treacle). They all turned out excellent but the Black Treacle is by far my favorite and will be putting it on again this week in time for Bonfire Night. Good luck.

I chopped them up and stuck them with the cocoa beans in a hop bag. Dropped them in after fermentation for about a week before bottling.

Tesco deals are great, �£7 is less than I pay buying in bulk from my wholesaler!
Ive done this one twice with enhancer and black treacle and once with half sugar, half dark spraymalt (tho I added organic cocoa beans & vanilla pods to the last one instead of treacle). They all turned out excellent but the Black Treacle is by far my favorite and will be putting it on again this week in time for Bonfire Night. Good luck.

I have done the stout before with just beer enhancer sugar.

Would I do half the sugar enhancer (500g) and half black treacle (500g) would that be a good thing to try next?

I wouldn't recommend using more than a few tablespoons of treacle. I tend to use 500g sugar/500g spray malt & just add a couple of tablespoons of black treacle as it's quite a strong taste.

I wouldn't recommend using more than a few tablespoons of treacle. I tend to use 500g sugar/500g spray malt & just add a couple of tablespoons of black treacle as it's quite a strong taste.

thanks good job didnt do 500g then lol, not done yet will most likely do 1kg brewing sugar, or can I do 500g brew sugard and like 500g light brown sugar as we have some?
Plus 2 table spoons of black treacle maybe?

Ye thats sounds ok, should be nice. Ive just put one on with 500g sugar/500g spraymalt and a teabag of fuggles hops. Will let u know how it turns out.

I bought the Cooper's DIY beer kit (fermenting bucket & equipment) earlier ths year for my first foray into brewing. It came with a can of Cooper's lager. Now, I'm not a lager drinker at all so that can sat around while I ran through my first few kits. On the Cooper's website I came across a recipe for a Russian Imperial Stout using standard cans of Cooper's stout, dark ale and lager - since I had the lager already and Tesco had the other two on offer I thought I'd give it a go with a half kilo of DME as well. As you'd expect it went off like a rocket, and I bottled about a month later with it somewhere between 9-10% abv. They recommend leaving it to condition for a year, but I cracked one tonight (about 7 weeks after bottling) to check carbonation. I've probably overprimed it slightly as it's a bit fizzier than the style requires, but holy hell this is not like any homebrew I've tasted before! I've paid £4-5+ for beer of this quality from my local quality offie. It's rich, dark (dark dark dark!!), bitter with the best mouthfeel I've had from anything I've brewed so far. If you like a strong stout give this recipe a go...

I bought the Cooper's DIY beer kit (fermenting bucket & equipment) earlier ths year for my first foray into brewing. It came with a can of Cooper's lager. Now, I'm not a lager drinker at all so that can sat around while I ran through my first few kits. On the Cooper's website I came across a recipe for a Russian Imperial Stout using standard cans of Cooper's stout, dark ale and lager - since I had the lager already and Tesco had the other two on offer I thought I'd give it a go with a half kilo of DME as well. As you'd expect it went off like a rocket, and I bottled about a month later with it somewhere between 9-10% abv. They recommend leaving it to condition for a year, but I cracked one tonight (about 7 weeks after bottling) to check carbonation. I've probably overprimed it slightly as it's a bit fizzier than the style requires, but holy hell this is not like any homebrew I've tasted before! I've paid �£4-5+ for beer of this quality from my local quality offie. It's rich, dark (dark dark dark!!), bitter with the best mouthfeel I've had from anything I've brewed so far. If you like a strong stout give this recipe a go...

And here is the link to the Coopers site

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/49/

I bought the Cooper's DIY beer kit (fermenting bucket & equipment) earlier ths year for my first foray into brewing. It came with a can of Cooper's lager. Now, I'm not a lager drinker at all so that can sat around while I ran through my first few kits. On the Cooper's website I came across a recipe for a Russian Imperial Stout using standard cans of Cooper's stout, dark ale and lager - since I had the lager already and Tesco had the other two on offer I thought I'd give it a go with a half kilo of DME as well. As you'd expect it went off like a rocket, and I bottled about a month later with it somewhere between 9-10% abv. They recommend leaving it to condition for a year, but I cracked one tonight (about 7 weeks after bottling) to check carbonation. I've probably overprimed it slightly as it's a bit fizzier than the style requires, but holy hell this is not like any homebrew I've tasted before! I've paid �£4-5+ for beer of this quality from my local quality offie. It's rich, dark (dark dark dark!!), bitter with the best mouthfeel I've had from anything I've brewed so far. If you like a strong stout give this recipe a go...

Iquite like the look of that even though I'm an AG brewer. Did you need the krausen collar?

I would suggest that a partial mash sort of approach is going to be a way to go for a Russian Stout.

Along the lines of a 2.5-3kg grain bill for the mash, a good bittering boil and 2x 1.5 or even 1.7kg cans plus the sugar to make it up to the ABV?

The good thing about this is that you don't have to chuck it all in up-front. The massive initial ferment can be contained by leaving the dark stout can to the last, maybe after the first 3 days?

Just a few thoughts, here, guys.

Just bottled a cooper's stout kit - taste test was lovely! Really nice strong flavour already. I've done a couple of brews before and they've tended to take a few weeks to ferment, but this one went crazy and seemed to do it over two nights! When I took the hydrometer reading it was down to 998

Looking forward to drinking this on halloween :D

Latest posts

Back