Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast that comes with the Coopers stout is fine if u are doing a basic kit + 1kg sugar brew

EDIT: You will need to add a packet of Nottingham or Safale US-05 for that brew (I missed ur original post.)

In my experience the Coopers yeast in this kit is fine on its own. A single kit packet gave a vigorous fermentation at the start and attenuated from 1.048 to 1.011 i.e. about 77% which is comparable to 'better' yeasts. I used kit plus 500g dark DME, 500g golden syrup and 100g dark muscavado sugar and brewed short to 19 litres, and the finished product is excellent.

My first and only coopers stout went down below 1000
I took a 300ml sample down to my local hbs to confirm he was surprised to

Done my second stout on weekend, standard yeast but used some light brown sugar as well a brewing sugar and as previously recommended in this thread 2 tbsp of black treacle, this time though it did not go quite such a big bubbly head for so long only a day or so then died down? is that a bad sign?
Finished on 1.010, now will leave 2-3 weeks and be good for xmas!

Just did this with 1kg extra dark spraymalt and half kg dextrose. Batch primed and bottled with 85g dextrose. Seems my bottles are taking ages to firm up tried one after four days and very little fizz. Was I too stingy with the priming sugar or am I too impatient? This is only my second brew my first(youngs ipa) carbonated a lot quicker.

Just did this with 1kg extra dark spraymalt and half kg dextrose. Batch primed and bottled with 85g dextrose. Seems my bottles are taking ages to firm up tried one after four days and very little fizz. Was I too stingy with the priming sugar or am I too impatient? This is only my second brew my first(youngs ipa) carbonated a lot quicker.

Where are you keeping them? Temp will have a lot to do with how fast the bottles carb up - especially as the weather seems to have turned a lot colder over the part 10 days or so

I'am just about to put my second one on with lme + 500g off dark dme + Nottingham yeast
Can't wait to drink this one

I've got them in the spare room close to the radiator which isn't on all day. I can see some sediment at the bottom of the bottles though. Tastes great even flat mind you.

Kegged mine yesterday after 3 weeks in the fv, primed with 150g demarera sugar. Fg came in at 1012 which is about 5.8%. Looks and smells lovely and the taster from the test jar was nice and stouty. This will be my Christmas beer so hopefully it'll be good to go in 3 weeks or so.

This will be my Christmas beer so hopefully it'll be good to go in 3 weeks or so.
I sampled mine from the keg 3 days in to see if it was carbonating and was surprised to find how drinkable it was. Never been able to start drinking a beer so early.
I found it had a fruity taste to start, but now about six weeks on has now lost most of that. It has developed into one of the best beers I have brewed.
My original idea of kegging rather than bottling to give the stout a good creamy head on delivery has worked. I used 85g dextrose priming for 19 litres.
Hope your is as good as mine.

Gents,

quick question has anyone tried pouring in some freshly made filter coffee. Waas going to do 500g Extra Dark Spray malt, 250g treacle, 250g brown sugar and 1 litre of filtered coffee at 22l.

What sthe thoughts on the coffee

Kimo

Gents,

quick question has anyone tried pouring in some freshly made filter coffee. Waas going to do 500g Extra Dark Spray malt, 250g treacle, 250g brown sugar and 1 litre of filtered coffee at 22l.

Kimo

I did this with a Festival London Porter kit and it turned out very nice indeed...eventually. It took about 3 months for the coffee (about 0.5lts perculated) to mellow out.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Gents,

Kimo
Co-incidently I have put another Coopers Original Stout into my FV this afternoon, which uses coffee as an 'extra'.
I have copied my last one which has now nearly gone.
- One kit can and yeast
- 500g Golden Syrup
- 500g Dark DME
- 100g Dark Muscovado sugar (not ordinary 'Brown Sugar')
- 3 measures of espresso from my machine (each measure from a level coffee measuring spoon of strong Italian Roast coffee)
- 1 tsp yeast nutrient
Brewed short to 19 litres; OG about 1047. Now sitting in the water bath at 20*C.
I put the last one into a barrel and surprisingly it was drinkable after three days, although now about two months on it has lost it's initial fruity taste and has mellowed into an all round decent stout without any of the 'extras' dominating.
If the first part of the primary is the same as last time, the krausen will just touch the lid of my FV and I won't need the blow off tube; that's why I went for 19 litres

Mines been in the bottle for three weeks and has carbed up nicely. It's very roasty tasting with a bit of bitterness coming through. Was thinking of using dark dme next time instead of extra dark but will see how it matures.

Co-incidently I have put another Coopers Original Stout into my FV this afternoon, which uses coffee as an 'extra'.
I have copied my last one which has now nearly gone.
- One kit can and yeast
- 500g Golden Syrup
- 500g Dark DME
- 100g Dark Muscovado sugar (not ordinary 'Brown Sugar')
- 3 measures of espresso from my machine (each measure from a level coffee measuring spoon of strong Italian Roast coffee)
- 1 tsp yeast nutrient
Brewed short to 19 litres; OG about 1047. Now sitting in the water bath at 20*C.
I put the last one into a barrel and surprisingly it was drinkable after three days, although now about two months on it has lost it's initial fruity taste and has mellowed into an all round decent stout without any of the 'extras' dominating.
If the first part of the primary is the same as last time, the krausen will just touch the lid of my FV and I won't need the blow off tube; that's why I went for 19 litres

Terry,
when u say you used espreso I take it it was ready to drink esspreso in the cup that you had made up and not just the ground coffee powder dry? How did it turn out?

Kimosabby

Terry,
when u say you used espreso I take it it was ready to drink esspreso in the cup that you had made up and not just the ground coffee powder dry? How did it turn out?
Kimosabby
'Ready to drink' espresso from my machine (which is a small version of the machines in coffee shops). If you haven't got a machine any coffee making kit will do, cafetiere, filter etc. The other point is that the ground coffee I use is intensely flavoured, so if I had used a mild ground coffee I would have probably used more rather than only three measures.
And the new brew is shaping up like the last one. I had my first sample from my PB last night which is nearly fully carbed up after a few days in the warm. When I do this Stout again, or the Coopers Irish Stout which I intend to try, I won't be changing the recipe.

Gunna do this this evening. One last thought:

Has anyone tried using 2 cans of the same? If so what were all the measures and taste.

Ive used a coopers larger, can of liquid malt extract and DME and its come out much smoother than just using DME although it puts the price up 2 a 2 can kit which basically is now becomes.

If this turn out well was thinking of using 2 cans with about 25l or am I asking for trouble. What you reckon are the draw backs

Kimosabby

If this turn out well was thinking of using 2 cans with about 25l or am I asking for trouble. What you reckon are the draw backs Kimosabby
Drawbacks - One can plus additions at 19 litres has hit the lid my 25 litre FV on both occasions (although it didn't quite need a blow off tube tbf), so unless you have a very large FV you might need to take that into account if you do 2 cans at 25 litres.
Anyway if you are thinking of doing that, why not do one can at 12.5 litres and see how it goes? At least that way you will keep things in your FV.

Back