Coopers original stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannyboy

Reaction score
Ok guys got one of these kits for my birthday just wanted a few ideas on recipes so i can get the best out of this :hmm:

I have thought about making this one at some point and adding lactose to it instead of brewing sugar, make a nice milky stout. Not sure if anyone has tried this.

mikeyjay84 said:
I have thought about making this one at some point and adding lactose to it instead of brewing sugar, make a nice milky stout. Not sure if anyone has tried this.

I have been thinking the same, however I get the feeling its probably more complicated than that.

mikeyjay84 said:

My understanding is that Lactose is a complicated and largely unfermentable sugar and this is why it makes beers sweet as the yeast cannot digest or turn it into alcohol. I'm sure you could add it to a coopers kit but you would only need a small amount and would require the brewing sugar to get it upto the required ABV and make it the stout in the first place to make sweet with the lactose.

boozy_shoes said:
mikeyjay84 said:

My understanding is that Lactose is a complicated and largely unfermentable sugar and this is why it makes beers sweet as the yeast cannot digest or turn it into alcohol. I'm sure you could add it to a coopers kit but you would only need a small amount and would require the brewing sugar to get it upto the required ABV and make it the stout in the first place to make sweet with the lactose.

Yes this is what I thought. But then I figured I would just double the amount. Or use 100% brewing sure or dme and then adding 50% lactose.

Any master brewers care to enlighten the topic? Maybe I'll start a new post. Feel like a hijacker at the moment.nsorry cannyboy

mikeyjay84 said:
boozy_shoes said:
mikeyjay84 said:

Yes this is what I thought. But then I figured I would just double the amount. Or use 100% brewing sure or dme and then adding 50% lactose.

Any master brewers care to enlighten the topic? Maybe I'll start a new post. Feel like a hijacker at the moment.nsorry cannyboy

When I get home I'll look in my brewing books at the milk stout recipes and see what sort of quatities they suggest for 5 gallons.

As promised, I've had a look in the old brewing library but I don't seem to have as much information on Milk Stout as I thought. I have the following:

*Lactose doesn't dissolve well so you are best boiling it on the hob with a little water first before adding that (with a coopers just use a small proportion of the boiling water you mix with the syrup and sugar first off)

*The Lactose will add body rather than "sweet" sweetness

*The two uses/recipe examples I have found are:
115g in 5 gallons (scaled up from the american version of 5 gallons)
560g in 5 gallons (again scaled up but this was a higher gravity 1.065 recipe than the coopers stout kit)

I would use the 115g amount to the kit as a start and see what it's like. If it's not milk stouty enough for you then you'll just have to go through the torture of having to make another one with more lactose in ;) . Let us know how it goes!

Cannyboy said:
Ok guys got one of these kits for my birthday just wanted a few ideas on recipes so i can get the best out of this :hmm:

I've done this kit twice now and I haven't added anything special on either occasion.

1st time I made it with just 1kg muntons beerkit enhancer and the second time I did it with 1kg of muntons beerkit enhancer and 500g brewing sugar. On both occasions I brewed short to 21 litres and they turned out to be extremely tasty brews.

If its the first time you've done it you may be better to do it bog standard so you have a benchmark to work to. If you add treacle or some other "flavour" on your first go and you don't like the end result you won't know if its the kit or the additional flavour your not keen on.

Thanks zed that some sound advice dont wanna get too big for my boots too soon :thumb:

Back