Corny Keg/Fridge Freezer/Kegerator Queries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mind doing cartwheels regards going for it and converting to a Corny Keg/Kegerator sytem or just keeping it simple with King Keg/Pressure barrels etc.

1. If having a number of Corny Kegs do I then need multiple bottles of CO2 connected to them all time?
2. If I use a picnic style hand dispenser to serve my beer can I change it from keg to keg as I wish or do I need one for each keg?
3. What sizes typically do these large CO2 tanks come in and typical cost and how long they last.
4. Other methods like 16 gram bulbs...soda stream refills etc whats the viability with them when using corny kegs. Again cost? Length time they likely to last per refill or per bulb etc?
5. Upright fridge freezer top half fridge bottom freezer.
what would I need to convert it into basically fridge top and bottom and cost?
Will hopefully get some guidance them maybe ask some more :cheers:

Mind doing cartwheels regards going for it and converting to a Corny Keg/Kegerator sytem or just keeping it simple with King Keg/Pressure barrels etc.

1. If having a number of Corny Kegs do I then need multiple bottles of CO2 connected to them all time?
2. If I use a picnic style hand dispenser to serve my beer can I change it from keg to keg as I wish or do I need one for each keg?
3. What sizes typically do these large CO2 tanks come in and typical cost and how long they last.
4. Other methods like 16 gram bulbs...soda stream refills etc whats the viability with them when using corny kegs. Again cost? Length time they likely to last per refill or per bulb etc?
Will hopefully get some guidance them maybe ask some more
anim_32.gif

1.define multiple? can buy jg splitters to divide gas line as long as same pressure is required to kegs..can get secondary regulaters otherwise.
2.can swap the picnic over np .
3.how longs a piece of string ...the larger tanks are 6 0r 6.5 kilo cant remember
4. other methods prob more costly and only useful/practical for dispensing force carbing prob not an option.

5 cant help ..have a few cornies and struggling to work this one out

Will hopefully get some guidance them maybe ask some more
anim_32.gif

My views and experiences for what its worth.

1. I currently have a under counter fridge with CO2 outside (a little ugly looking and it only holds 2 Corny's) but both are pressurised from the same 6.5 kg CO2 bottle.

2. I have a picnic dispenser for each Corny with a length of 3/16 beer line to balance the pressure (4 foot apx) I don't see a problem using a single party dispenser except when switching you would always get a small amount from the previous keg in your next beer.

3. I believe there are 2 sizes of larger CO2 bottle 6.5 kg and 13 kg, my local hydroponics shop supplied mine £30 (£15 to buy the bottle itself, its becomes yours from there and then £15 for each refill) I have done 5 or 6 brews and the pressure has barely moved so they last a good while.

4. Don't use other methods of carbonation delivery, its too costly.

5. Get a taller larder fridge you will be able to get 3 Corny's in as well as your CO2, a lot more attractive solution and if you are like me you will need at least 3 Corny's to supply your demand. I got my latest fridge off Gumtree £30, I will be fitting this out this weekend and may post pictures if you think they may be helpful. Another thing to consider is where about's the temperature control is as this can interfere with the Corny's and stop you storing the required quantity.

1. You can connect the gas to multiple kegs, you can either have separate regulators for each keg or just have them all at the same pressure. CO2 does not need to be connected all the time only for serving and force carbonating. So the simplest thing to do is just connect 1 keg at a time.
2 sorry no idea what this is but I think the answer will be yes.
3 6.35Kg is the standard pub cylinder and will last ages. I got my local pub to order me an extra 1 on there contract cost £25 deposit (no VAT) and £10.50 for the gas (+VAT). If you get one as a one off from a supplier they normally charge 2-3 times more.
4 No idea I don't imagine the 16g bulbs are really viable.
5 To convert 1 part you need and STC 1000 controller (£20+ to make or £45 to buy from a guy on jims beer kit link at bottom) or similar to use both you would need to tinker with the internal wiring/thermostats which I wouldn't know where to start.
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71268
Hope this helps

Do you have taps on the door when it's closed?

Currently I only have party taps, they are hung from bracket on the inside of the door, they actually work quite well.

I plan to make a fermentation/brew fridge out of the previous incarnation once I have all the bits and pieces required, that will then mean no more troublesome temperature problems.

Hi Mancer, If you are talking about one of these http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Cornelius-Beer-Tap-with-Disconnect.html#.VaJ8jPlViko

Then there should be no problem using just the one for multiple kegs. I'd certainly star san it and the post of the corny before connecting it to another though.

I use just one regulator and co2 bottle between four corny kegs, connect to the one I want to drink and away I go.

Glyn

One CO2 bottle 2kg + is sufficient and you can split the line as you like, using a simple splitter or multiple regulator. It's bad practice to have them connected continuously, unless you're absolutely sure nothing is leaking. How long they last depends on how much you use them. I have two 2kg bottles that last over a year and I brew a lot. I now mainly prime with sugar in the kegs, so they should last much longer? Picnic dispensers are ok and you can easily move them from keg to keg. I now prefer the corny taps, like you can get from the malt miller. Soda stream bottles are great for dispensing pressure when you're taking beer to a party or camping, etc. You can use an adapter for a simple (no gauge) regulator. You'll need a fridge, not a fridge-freezer.

Sorry to raise an old thread but what make and model of fridge did you use as it seems to hold 4 x Cornies which is what I want as mine only holds 2. Unless someone else knows of any tall upright fridges that hold 4 kegs ?? :thumb:

Got round to knocking my keezer up today. Ordered another tap as I have room for 3 kegs in it. Just got the paint job to do.

EF93FC50-0D69-4652-9CAB-D5BFB4831DEB.jpg

Latest posts

Back