Corny Keg seal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky B

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I've got an AEB 19 l Corny which i always struggle to get an airtight seal with, takes me 3 of 4 goes normally before i feel confident it's sealed by spraying water around the seal. Whats the general consensus on a vaseline smear around the rubber - I have bought a new rubber seal and that didn't really fix the issue. I also used a cut down hacksaw blade as a shim under the rubber feet to apply a greater pressure and that made it worse ! Appreciate any feedback ...

People will probably advise against it, but it works great for me. Not noticed any degradation in the silicone o-ring.

What pressure are you filling it to? I normally hook mine up to the gas and turn the pressure up slowly to about 30 PSI. At about 25 or so PSI I usually hear the lid make a slight pop as it seems to bed in properly.

Hey fellas, I've got an AEB 19 l Corny which i always struggle to get an airtight seal with, takes me 3 of 4 goes normally before i feel confident it's sealed by spraying water around the seal. Whats the general consensus on a vaseline smear around the rubber - I have bought a new rubber seal and that didn't really fix the issue. I also used a cut down hacksaw blade as a shim under the rubber feet to apply a greater pressure and that made it worse ! Appreciate any feedback ...
Vaseline I use all the time or if you have some KY jelly. As already mentioned in the thread slowly turn up the psi and the lod will seal. I have a keg that does the same...

I've a few of those dumpy AEB 19L Cornys. They can be a pain to seal at low pressure. The lever on the lid is off-centre which is really dumb, I don't know why they did that.

"Blasting" them shut like @Markk says helps.

Whether or not a light smear of Vaseline (or other petroleum jelly lubricant) rots the O-ring, if certainly helps. I use the "food-grade" stuff not because I believe anything living is lurking in those pots, but it comes in tubes for applying which is more convenient. And I use these thicker O-rings (5 x Cornelius / Corny Keg Replacement O-ring Seal Kit. Home brewing | eBay) to make sure they seal (being thicker the lid's lever is tighter too).

I may dispense at 1-2PSI (LPG regulator) so I do need to get it right!

I use brewers lube and never had an issue getting a seal. At work I work with very high pressures and would never assemble a seal without some form of lubrication.
Too right. I look after a lot of machines that dispense @1000 - 2500 psi and when a Kalrez seal goes its nasty though its contained and its double sealed inner and outer.

What pressure are you filling it to? I normally hook mine up to the gas and turn the pressure up slowly to about 30 PSI. At about 25 or so PSI I usually hear the lid make a slight pop as it seems to bed in properly.
Great tip thanks a lot !

I've a few of those dumpy AEB 19L Cornys. They can be a pain to seal at low pressure. The lever on the lid is off-centre which is really dumb, I don't know why they did that.

"Blasting" them shut like @Markk says helps.

Whether or not a light smear of Vaseline (or other petroleum jelly lubricant) rots the O-ring, if certainly helps. I use the "food-grade" stuff not because I believe anything living is lurking in those pots, but it comes in tubes for applying which is more convenient. And I use these thicker O-rings (5 x Cornelius / Corny Keg Replacement O-ring Seal Kit. Home brewing | eBay) to make sure they seal (being thicker the lid's lever is tighter too).

I may dispense at 1-2PSI (LPG regulator) so I do need to get it right!
great and thanks for the link to the seals !

Back