Cost per pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can brew a pint for a poofteenth of bugger all, if I go into a pub serving craft beer I would expect to pay $12 per pint around 6 GBP. At the end of the day it's a case of never mind the quality feel the width. I will say I did buy a bottle of Lion Stout last week, purely for nostalgic reasons of a trip to Sri Lanka and it was bloody delicious.
So what would a pint of 'cooking bitter' cost where you are In Oz? I've no idea whether £6 a pint is a reasonable or not. In the UK prices are regional as well as based on what you are drinking. In central London expect to pay at least twice as as you would north of, well, Northampton for the same beer although there will of course be exceptions to that.

My last order was £44 inc delivery.
Got an oatmeal stout kit and the ingredients for a hoppy American pale ale.
So somewhere in the region of 55p per pint, or 35p per 330ml.
Like others have said though it’s not about cost, it’s a fun activity. If I added in the cost of kit, electricity, chemicals etc it would be a lot more so I’m not convinced I'm saving much, if any, money at all 🤑

I think a lot of people get into home-brewing as a bit of fun and the idea of making 40 pints for about £15 is appealing. But once this hobby grabs you by the bollox, there's no going back. Cheap lager kits become a distant memory and insanely hopped IPA's become the norm. I love it!

Cost wasn't a factor for me, it was the complete lack of any decent draught beer in the surrounding area. There are few pubs serving real ale within a hundred miles and those all serve it icy cold and very gassy.

I have been making "Country Wine" costing somewhere south of £5 for 25L. I make this 20p a Liter, or 15p for a "bottle" of 750ml. It's well received by all of the drinkers, perhaps not too discerning, but no one spits it out and they all ask for more.

I make it pink with fruits, for marketing, and flavour with sweetener, malic acid, citric acid, and sometimes go further with juniper berries or citrus rinds.

The pink fruit colours are from frozen supermarket "forest fruits", totally optional. Either serve straight from the keg, or in a bottle with a little sugar added for "frizzante". Bottle opens with a puff of CO2, looks like a premium product in a bottle.

3kg sugar, yeast, flavoring, time, and it comes good. Extra flavouring to taste after fermentation. Maybe the £5 is an exaggeration. £2 for 3 bags of sugar. Teaspoon of acids and yeast, some sweetex tablets, pennies. 1/2 bag of fruit 50p. Maybe it is more like £2.50/25L, 7.5p for 750ml, but I am not really counting.

3000/25 = 120g/L sugar = ~ 6% alcohol

I like making stuff for cheap, like a magic trick, but it does not stop me spending £10 on a bottle of shop wine from time to time, just less often.

Drat. I am missing out some of the ingredients. My water meter costs £1 a tonne. 1p / 10L, that all adds up, what with the cleaning, and the filling of the brew bucket. Call it 5p. Then there is the no rinse sanitiser, 1tsp bleach and 1tsp vinegar, that has to cost something too. Then there is the cost of the fermenter, and the keg, and the syphon tube, divided by over 1,000 times of use, still might cost something but dividing the £5 ebay job lot deal, and the petrol to collect it, by a large number makes it very small.

Of course when I roll out the red carpet and use fresh new crown caps on the glass bottles, that has to add on another 1p per bottle,

If it tasted foul, or smelled bad, or made me sick, and no one would drink it, then this would be a waste of money, but it doesn't.

So what would a pint of 'cooking bitter' cost where you are In Oz? I've no idea whether £6 a pint is a reasonable or not. In the UK prices are regional as well as based on what you are drinking. In central London expect to pay at least twice as as you would north of, well, Northampton for the same beer although there will of course be exceptions to that.
A pint of commercial Victoria Bitter would cost around $7 at happy hour.

Latest posts

Back