costs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone else geeky enough to keep a spread sheet of costs to date?

Been brewing less than a year but even with my move to ag biab my costs with equipment are �£2.47/litre - that's less than a 500ml bottle of hobgoblin (which I can take or leave).

52p/�£1.24 per pint without/with equipment since june2015

Hazards of being a maths teacher I guess...

Equipment costs I consider irrelevant as lasts a long time and has resale value

So about 30 to 60p a pint for equivalent or better than shop at 175 a pint, no brainier lol

out of curiosity... costs i get ....as a home brewers we can can make beer for ....whatever a pint..

the general consensus dosent usually feature in time ..or utilities....ok i can argue its a hobby for time...but not what it costs me to heat/boil vast amounts of water...

the whole 30/50 p a pint argument doesnt weigh up

Anyone else geeky enough to keep a spread sheet of costs to date?

Hmm. Not sure about this.
How careful have you been to separate out your revenue costs from your capital costs?
With regard to the latter, I think it is vital to properly discount capital expenditure against a realistic value for life-expectancy, rather than just an average value.
Even then, there will be grey areas. Bottles, for instance. With the best will in the world, there will be unexpected breakages (my son's parties, for example! :))
And there is always the minefield of how you cost your own time :)

But, no.... I don't keep a precise track of how much each brew costs. A bit like my wife's knitting plus bird watching & feeding interests. I guess we both prefer not to know!! :lol:

I was bored (and a bit geeky with spreadsheets) so I did set up something similar. I keep it up to date on my lunch in work so dont have exact figures on me.

I set it up so I get an overall cost per pint with all equipment, the more I brew the lower the overall cost it is. I think with two kit brews and 3 all grain brews I am on about £1.60 a pint. Most brews on their own without equipment work out about 50p a pint.

I was bored (and a bit geeky with spreadsheets) so I did set up something similar. I keep it up to date on my lunch in work so dont have exact figures on me.

I set it up so I get an overall cost per pint with all equipment, the more I brew the lower the overall cost it is. I think with two kit brews and 3 all grain brews I am on about £1.60 a pint. Most brews on their own without equipment work out about 50p a pint.
Nice to see a real price

Yeah, I have one. My initial equipment was a present, so I don't include that, but if I assume I will get 38 500ml bottles when I bottle tomorrow, and get the same for the stout I haven't brewed yet, then I'll be around 80p per 500ml.

out of curiosity... costs i get ....as a home brewers we can can make beer for ....whatever a pint..

the whole 30/50 p a pint argument doesnt weigh up

with the hops I use about 90p for a 500ml bottle.

although my last set of ingredients came to �£37.23 and I had 37 x 500ml bottles so �£1 a bottle more or less. The nearest commercial match (celt brewery) would be �£1.50 and normally nearer �£2 so cheaper and better, what's not to like.

I do mainly extract so with a kit and dme (and yeast if i buy it) then cost is 60p per 500ml if i keg - based on ingredients costing £24. If i bottle then it costs 17p more as i buy 6 packs of spring water at 99p a pack, and dispose of the bottle afterwards. 77p is an acceptable price for me.

Tough to count equipment as you will see a diminishing cost over the time it is used..

I don't count my time as a cost because I simply love the hobby.. If I didn't I wouldn't do AG.

Doing Ag I reckon mine cost around 25p-40p depending on recipie. If I was to add in gas and water I would say that probably adds 5-10p a 500ml bottle.

with the hops I use about 90p for a 500ml bottle.

although my last set of ingredients came to ��£37.23 and I had 37 x 500ml bottles so ��£1 a bottle more or less. The nearest commercial match (celt brewery) would be ��£1.50 and normally nearer ��£2 so cheaper and better, what's not to like.

I have to ask what cost that much for a brew :lol: did you gop all out on hops and liquid yeast ect?

My kit beers work out about 35p - 40p a pint, this is based solely on ingredients though. For example Coopers Stout £10, 1kg BE £3.75 honey 20p, hops £1, coffee & coco powder 50p. 38p odd for what always ends up a cracking pint.

I think WFR is close. My gas and water costs are high.
But you can make cheap brews. But I like hops... Not that I can get many kinds.... So cost rise. Over here, hops are 700 yen per 100 grams.... Some of the more popular are double that. So one batch, there's an extra 5 pounds!!!!

I have to ask what cost that much for a brew :lol: did you gop all out on hops and liquid yeast ect?

simples - 3kg dme around �£16
250G of hops �£15 ,
water �£1.87,
mj dried yeast �£2.75,
candi sugar �£3 it all adds up. :-o

simples - 3kg dme around ��£16
250G of hops ��£15 ,
water ��£1.87,
mj dried yeast ��£2.75,
candi sugar ��£3 it all adds up. :-o

£15 for 250g hops seems very steep what were they?

Do you prefer dme to lme?

£15 for 250g hops seems very steep what were they?

Not that steep as the brewshop near me sells 100g of chinook, citra, nelson sauvon, simcoe to name a few at over £8 per 100g

�£15 for 250g hops seems very steep what were they?

the dear ones! :oops: american/new world hops.

it's a shame I dont have a taste for the cheaper home grown ones :-(

I prefer dme but will give lme a go now and then and also pop in some grain as well.

Back