Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our estate there are at least 6 households that have tested positive with Covid. All are teachers asad.
Four teachers in our family. Boris threatens to prosecute if schools close so my family is forced to deal with ( collectively) dozens of kids every day - but they can be fined if they meet for Christmas. My wife leaves teaching this Christmas, mainly because her job involves going from school to school . My mum is 92, in a care home and they have no idea when she will get her vaccination - "first group" Boris said. What a shambles. I traveled down form Manchester yesterday, the gantry signs on the motorway warned EU bound traffic of new paperwork - but which paperwork is it ? Open border or iron curtain ?
I've never been one to slag off my own country but I can't bring myself to be positive ATM.

My mum is 92, in a care home and they have no idea when she will get her vaccination - "first group" Boris said. What a shambles.
Is the shambles the "care home" vaccine thing, or the motorway signs?

Anyway, part of the problem with care home vaccinations is that the Pfizer vaccine needs particular storage, and cannot be toted around care homs, 'cos it would go off before it could be used, so they have to bus their "residents" to the place of innoculation, and that often can't be done, for various reasons, including the health of "residents" and exposing them and others to risk, although the vaccine is available. What will happen is that when the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is available, which will hopefully be this year, as it's awaiting approval (it has been in manufacture for some time), that will be toted around "care homes" and administered.

I have some first-hand knowledge of this, because my mum's also "inside", and I have ;looked into the matter. I have not seen her face-to-face since March, except once at a window, which was useless and to be frank worse than using the Android tablet with bespoke systems (including video-calling) on it that I got her.

"Care homes", so called, make me really quite angry, I'm el farid. I would say that many are quite inappropriately names, and for £4k/pcm would be better described as "institutions". Grr!

It's not really a shambles, it's the way that it's worked out with the virus, the nature of the only currently available vaccine, and the frailty of many "residents". "Boris" can't say more than "first group", because he does not know when approval of the vaccines will happen, just as he (notr anyone else) can foretell exactly where the infections will spread, and what the death rate will be, but one thing's quite obvious, it's not the government spreading it, it's idiots, and peple who just don't care, or who won't bother to inform themselves of the anti-virus rules that are the problem.

I traveled down form Manchester yesterday, the gantry signs on the motorway warned EU bound traffic of new paperwork - but which paperwork is it ? Open border or iron curtain ?
I've never been one to slag off my own country but I can't bring myself to be positive ATM.
All the information that needed is easily available, online. Would it be published, accuretely, in the "Direly Excretes or the "independent" (sic), or broadcast verbatim by the BBC? No! People need to loook into things themselves, and if it's business, they should have done it ages and ages ago, it's not as if there has been no prompting for them to do so!

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transpo...-eu-from-1-january-2021-guidance-for-hauliershttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-your-eu-business-ready-from-1-january-2021https://www.gov.uk/buying-europe-1-jan-2021
And much else!

She should be able to get it now, my wife works in a care home and they starting tomorrow... ( 8< )
See my previous rather rambling post. It will be possible for some, but by no means all, but hopefully the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine will be approved soon, and that will make a huge difference.

Dear Appleyard
Even the Pfizer vaccine will be happy in dry ice for 3 days. If they can administer it in Shetland then Greater Manchester ought to be possible.
As for goods into the EU, I've imported/exported from/to the US with Harm codes etc. but, with 7 working days to go we still don't know if we're in a free trade zone with Europe or in 'Australian' mode from 1st Jan.
You think this isn't a shambles ?

Even the Pfizer vaccine will be happy in dry ice for 3 days.

I wondered how they were going to get the vaccine into the homes as obviously you couldn't expect to take residents to the surgery, from the BBC -

The Covid-19 vaccine will "definitely" be ready to go into care homes in the next two weeks, the regulator has said.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said it had approved the way doses would be distributed to homes.
It means care home residents and staff may not be the first to receive jabs, despite being the top priority.
But the UK's chief medical officers say the vaccine will only have a "marginal impact" on winter hospital numbers.
In a letter to colleagues, the chief medical officers of England (Prof Chris Whitty), Scotland (Dr Gregor Smith), Wales (Dr Frank Atherton) and Northern Ireland (Dr Michael McBride) warn this winter could be "especially hard" for the health service due to coronavirus.
"Although the very welcome news about vaccines means that we can look forward to 2021 with greater optimism, vaccine deployment will have only a marginal impact in reducing numbers coming into the health service with Covid over the next three months," they said.

Dear Appleyard
Even the Pfizer vaccine will be happy in dry ice for 3 days. If they can administer it in Shetland then Greater Manchester ought to be possible.
As for goods into the EU, I've imported/exported from/to the US with Harm codes etc. but, with 7 working days to go we still don't know if we're in a free trade zone with Europe or in 'Australian' mode from 1st Jan.
You think this isn't a shambles ?
I'm going by what I have been told directly by staff at a "nursing home", and a relative who has rather an interesting position in the medical profession. "Nursing homes" and "care homes" are not all the same.

So, if you can tell me precisely which "care homes" in the Shetlands have already had their inmates vaccinated, I shall be delighted to hear, and will pass the information on.

We don't know whether we will get any sort of trading agreement with the eu yet, you are correct of course. It has been in the news. So has much else. No, I would not describe it as a shambles, just a lot that's unknown, AND which firms have had time to plan for, either way. Apparently, some haven't bothered! Who'd a'thunk it! Well!

I'm going by what I have been told directly by staff at a "nursing home", and a relative who has rather an interesting position in the medical profession. "Nursing homes" and "care homes" are not all the same.

I know you were answering BB above and you are probably right not all homes will be the same, we are getting it this week so with luck the rest of the countries homes will get it soon.

The Covid-19 vaccine will "definitely" be ready to go into care homes in the next two weeks, the regulator has said.
That was on the 8th. I wonder what's happened, or what the particular circumstance is at the "nursing home" my mum's in. The information I referred to was conveyed to me yesterday morning (Sat 19th.).

I know you were answering BB above and you are probably right not all homes will be the same, we are getting it this week so with luck the rest of the countries homes will get it soon.
I do very much hope so. There should be a fair amount of the Oxford vaccine around as soon as it's OK'd, my guess is that it will be the first in many places. Yes, it is a guess!

My mum's already had the virus, BTW, so may have some resistance to it. Fingers crossed for quick administration of any vaccine, wherever it's from.

Due to the new strain of virus, it seems travel from the UK to elsewhere is being held back by a number of countries. That seems futile, as there are reports of the new strain as far afield as Australia. Look at how the original infection spread. The only countries successful at limiting the spread seem to have been ones which have taken harsh measures against it vis a vis theoir population control, one or two that were prepared, having exprienced similar previously, and those that closed their borders very quickly indeed. That does not bode well for curbing the new strain, or indeed any other germ.

That was on the 8th. I wonder what's happened, or what the particular circumstance is at the "nursing home" my mum's in. The information I referred to was conveyed to me yesterday morning (Sat 19th.).

It says in the next two weeks which makes it the 22nd.

The Covid-19 vaccine will "definitely" be ready to go into care homes in the next two weeks,

So, if you can tell me precisely which "care homes" in the Shetlands have already had their inmates vaccinated, I shall be delighted to hear, and will pass the information on.

We don't know whether we will get any sort of trading agreement with the eu yet, you are correct of course. It has been in the news. So has much else. No, I would not describe it as a shambles, just a lot that's unknown, AND which firms have had time to plan for, either way. Apparently, some haven't bothered! Who'd a'thunk it! Well!

Shetland News 10th December

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/12/10/health-board-ready-for-vaccine-roll-out/
"The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is expected to be given to people in Shetland from tomorrow (Friday) onwards."
That would be the 11th December.

I didn't say care homes in Shetland, although other news reports suggest that started last week, I just wanted to illustrate that it's not limited to a 5 mile radius of St Thomas Hospital.

Unfortunately my mother's home still don't have a date.

1608501363978.png

Something to lighten the grim mood

I can confirm that panic buying is in progress.
I skipped the items on the supermarket shopping list & just got the fruit & veg from the local greengroces instead.

Also seemed a lot of families with kids out. Panic buying is such a treat for them.
A lot didn't seem to know where they were going either. I suspect they have decamped from the neighbouring tier4 towns

Latest posts

Back