Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh s**t -
No details if its the whole of Cumbria or parts. :(

BBC Radio Cumbria
@BBC_Cumbria

Cumbria will go into Tier 4 from midnight says
@MattHancock
which means similar restrictions to the national lockdown: stay home unless you have a "reasonable excuse"; non-essential shops close; hairdressers close; indoor entertainment closes; gyms, swimming pools close....

Oh s**t -

BBC Radio Cumbria
@BBC_Cumbria

@MattHancock
which means similar restrictions to the national lockdown: stay home unless you have a "reasonable excuse"; non-essential shops close; hairdressers close; indoor entertainment closes; gyms, swimming pools close....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/30/covid-millions-more-in-england-to-enter-tier-4
Looks like all of the North East, Greater Manchester. large parts of the Midlands and the South West. Agree or not with the decision but part of me thinks it would be easier just to go for a nationwide lockdown (as it looks like before long the entire country will be in tier 4 anyway,)

Interestingly the Oxford vaccine they are now saying a single dose is enough to stop severe disease but a second will be given after 3 months purely to extend the immunity. So it sounds very good to stop deaths and hospitalisation in those vaccinated but not so good at stopping the spread. Due to it not needing the cold temps and is very easy to produce my hope is it could be only a few months until all the most vulnerable have been vaccinated and cases may still say high but hospitalisation and deaths will be next to nothing.

So, many more parts of the country have moved into tier 4 then. However, those areas with the highest infection rates and where the pressure on the NHS is the greatest (London and the south east) it’s as you were? 😡

Oh s**t -

BBC Radio Cumbria
@BBC_Cumbria

@MattHancock
So will Warrington and Cheshire. Only one thing for it brew more beer.

So, many more parts of the country have moved into tier 4 then. However, those areas with the highest infection rates and where the pressure on the NHS is the greatest (London and the south east) it’s as you were? 😡
Mainly as the South East was already in tier four with the last few bits like Oxfordshire entering on Boxing Day.

Enforcing the rules would be a good start. I'm already in T4, will have to look up who's gone up a tier or two around here. Edit: Quite a few areas!

Last edited:
I believe that lack of compliance from a section of the public is the issue. Not sure how we can change that.
I’m not sure a handful of people breaking the rules and mixing with a handful of people from other households is the problem. However, hundreds of school children mixing with hundreds of other children from hundreds of other households could well be!

A further 20 million people in England will join the toughest tier of Covid restrictions from Thursday.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told MPs the Midlands, North East, parts of the North West and parts of the South West are among those escalated to tier four.
And the education secretary said his plan for schools to return next week required an "immediate adjustment".
Earlier, the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was approved for use in the UK, with the first doses to be given on Monday.
But the PM warned that people should not "in any way think that this is over" as "the virus is really surging".
A further 50,023 new Covid cases were recorded in the UK on Wednesday, as well as 981 more deaths within 28 days of a positive test - more than double Tuesday's total.
Under tier four rules, non-essential shops, beauty salons and hairdressers must close, and people are limited to meeting in a public outdoor place with their household, or one other person.
Mr Hancock also said that rising cases across England mean it is "therefore necessary to apply tier three measures more broadly too, including in Liverpool and North Yorkshire".
In tier three areas, household mixing is banned indoors and in private gardens, while the rule of six applies in public spaces. Shops, gyms and personal care services can remain open, but hospitality settings must close except for takeaway.
All of the tier changes will come into effect at 00:01 GMT on Thursday 31 December.

Following his colleague in the Commons, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said secondary schools across most of England will remain closed for an extra two weeks for most pupils.
He added that exam-year pupils will return a week earlier than their schoolmates in the week of 11 January, and in a small number of areas with the highest infection rates, primaries will remain closed temporarily.

Speaking to the BBC earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that 60% of UK coronavirus cases were now the new, more transmissible, strain of Covid-19.
Asked by political editor Laura Kuenssberg if the government had been too slow to act, he said: "What we, unfortunately, were not able to budget for was this this new variant."
He added: "It's spreading rapidly from the places where it's started, in the east of London and in Kent. And, alas, it's starting to seed across the country."

Full article - Covid-19: Twenty million in England added to toughest level of restrictions - BBC News

Well that's us screwed -
  • Cumbria (Eden, Carlisle, South Lakeland, Barrow-in-Furness, Copeland, Allerdale)
Off to find what T4 means for us.

The areas joining tier four from Thursday are:
  • Leicester City
  • Leicestershire (Oadby and Wigston, Harborough, Hinckley and Bosworth, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Melton)
  • Lincolnshire (City of Lincoln, Boston, South Kesteven, West Lindsey, North Kesteven, South Holland, East Lindsey)
  • Northamptonshire (Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire, Wellingborough)
  • Derby and Derbyshire (Derby, Amber Valley, South Derbyshire, Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Erewash, Derbyshire Dales, High Peak)
  • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire (Gedling, Ashfield, Mansfield, Rushcliffe, Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, Broxtowe)
  • Birmingham and Black Country (Dudley, Birmingham, Sandwell, Walsall, Wolverhampton)
  • Coventry
  • Solihull
  • Warwickshire (Rugby, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwick, North Warwickshire, Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent (East Staffordshire, Stafford, South Staffordshire, Cannock Chase, Lichfield, Staffordshire Moorlands, Newcastle under Lyme, Tamworth, Stoke-on-Trent)
  • Lancashire (Burnley, Pendle, Blackburn with Darwen, Ribble Valley, Blackpool, Preston, Hyndburn, Chorley, Fylde, Lancaster, Rossendale, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wyre)
  • Cheshire and Warrington (Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington)
  • Cumbria (Eden, Carlisle, South Lakeland, Barrow-in-Furness, Copeland, Allerdale)
  • Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan)
  • Tees Valley (Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees )
  • North East (County Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside, Sunderland)
  • Gloucestershire (Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Cheltenham)
  • Somerset Council (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, South Somerset)
  • Swindon
  • Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
  • Isle of Wight
  • New Forest
The areas joining tier three are:
  • Rutland
  • Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
  • Worcestershire (Bromsgrove, Malvern Hills, Redditch, Worcester, Wychavon, Wyre Forest)
  • Herefordshire
  • Liverpool City Region (Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, Wirral, St Helens)
  • York & North Yorkshire (Scarborough, Hambleton, Richmondshire, Selby, Craven, Ryedale, Harrogate, City of York)
  • Bath and North East Somerset
  • Devon, Plymouth, Torbay (East Devon, Exeter, Mid Devon, North Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge, Torridge, West Devon, Plymouth, Torbay)
  • Cornwall
  • Dorset
  • Wiltshire

I believe that lack of compliance from a section of the public is the issue. Not sure how we can change that.
The police don’t seem to want to enforce, and generally people don’t grass on their neighbours. On my street there’s visitors coming and going out of a few houses all the time. They’re quite open about it, and don’t care. Not about to start telling on them, but something needs to happen.

What are the restrictions in tier four?
The restrictions are similar to the last national lockdown and include:
  • Residents should stay at home, unless they have a "reasonable excuse" such as work or education
  • All non-essential shops must close
  • Hairdressers and nail bars must close
  • Indoor entertainment venues must close
  • Gyms and indoor swimming pools, indoor sports courts and dance studios must close
  • You cannot meet other people indoors, unless you live with them or they are part of your support bubble
  • People should not leave tier four areas or travel abroad, except for limited reasons (including work and education)
  • Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies are only allowed in exceptional circumstances
"Clinically extremely vulnerable" people in tier four areas are advised to stay at home "as much as possible". The government says if they can't work from home, they shouldn't go to work.
What can you do in tier four?
Activities still allowed include:
  • Meeting one other person from another household in an open public space, if you are both alone
  • Shopping for essentials such as food and medicine
  • Outdoor pools, playgrounds, sports courts, golf courses and horse riding centres can open
  • You can leave home for work, education, training, childcare and for medical appointments and emergencies
  • Communal religious worship
  • Support bubbles are still allowed and children can move between separated parents

On my street there’s visitors coming and going out of a few houses all the time. They’re quite open about it, and don’t care. Not about to start telling on them, but something needs to happen.

This has been going on on our street on and off for ages and its always the same ones that are doing it, i have had enough i haven't been inside of my parents home since this all began why should the sensible observe the rules and the scum do whatever they feel like, i have decided i am going to shop them the next time they do it we need to make a stand.

It'll be interesting to see how many who have planned a new years eve party will ignore the new rules and carry on.

SWMBO has just been to the corner shop and one of her friends told her she is having hers tonight as she has bought the food and drink in and is not going to let it go to waste.

The police don’t seem to want to enforce, and generally people don’t grass on their neighbours. On my street there’s visitors coming and going out of a few houses all the time. They’re quite open about it, and don’t care. Not about to start telling on them, but something needs to happen.
If they were walking in, whacking someone, then walking out, would that be reported? Just wondering, I'm sure there are other parallels. I'd have no qualms at all about reporting them! The consequences of their actions are appalling.

Latest posts

Back