Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen that on the news earlier.There is rumours in my son's school that there maybe a 3 week lockdown for all schools here with online classes as the seniors will be doing it next week.
Hearing lots of rumours myself. My son is only 7 (Very late starter) and is an only child, I do worry about the long term effect on him but he seems to take it all in his stride. He is already FaceTiming his school friends on a regular basis. It is amazing how they adapt.

Child #1's school have confirmed that they will be learning online for a week at the beginning of next term while the school (secondary academy) preps for giving all the kids weekly lateral flow tests. Apparently, if they test positive, they get sent home and a proper test is arranged. Seems a rare moment of incredibly sensible in a crazy world.

The UK's R - or reproduction - number is now estimated to be between 1.1 and 1.2, meaning the coronavirus epidemic is growing once again.

Covid-19 cases have risen to an estimated 660,000 infections across the UK between 6-12 December.
In England, the rise was driven by sharp increases in London, plus rises in the South East and East Midlands.
But the proportion of people testing positive in the North West and Yorkshire has continued to fall.
Roughly one in every 95 people had the virus across Britain last week.
The previous week's figures suggested about 560,000 people had the virus across the UK - one in 115 people in England, one in 120 in Scotland, one in 175 in Wales and one in 235 in Northern Ireland.
So weekly cases have gone up by about a fifth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55365294

Just watched Boris and the new rules over Christmas which i expected, makes no difference to our plans a quite Christmas was on the cards from day one, what gets me is all the folks who are now moaning about how much they have spent and the plans they have without a thought for the vulnerable they are more dangerouse than the virus

Just watched Boris and the new rules over Christmas which i expected, makes no difference to our plans a quite Christmas was on the cards from day one, what gets me is all the folks who are now moaning about how much they have spent and the plans they have without a thought for the vulnerable they are more dangerous than the virus

Quiet Christmas here and i agree with your thoughts on the selfish its one day/week of the year lets all get the vaccine (well those that can and want it) and lets have a massive Christmas next year.

Last edited:
Just watched Boris and the new rules over Christmas which i expected, makes no difference to our plans a quite Christmas was on the cards from day one, what gets me is all the folks who are now moaning about how much they have spent and the plans they have without a thought for the vulnerable they are more dangerouse than the virus
Can I 'double like' this post please?

Hi Covrich i feel for you mate i really do, but if you stay safe how many more will you have, i would have one off them get togthers online i always fancied a **** up online going to have to get a headset acheers.
THanks, it is my partner and she dont drink lol

thing is , shes my support bubble and I am with her all the time only but who knows..I think me and my ex are moving it around so I spend it with my boys 9 and 11.

will get a family zoom call with brother in San fran and mum so that will be nice.

Bother. My locality is now in the new tier 4. There are considerations and ramifications.

I have just been outraged by a close relative proposing to travel from another area into this one for purposes connected with family and Christmas. It is people like this which are causing our problems.

Christmas is cancelled for us my son and girlfriend live in Hackney and my daughter, husband and grandkids live in Eltham all now T4. Also my 9 yo grandson has tested positive and we are awaiting results for his twin sister.

Broke my heart watching the announcement earlier.
My mum (sadly, single now, in her 80's,) is going to be all alone now as she's in Kent.
Spoke to her just after the news, and she's putting on a brave face, but I know that she's devastated by the news.
One half of me wants to race up there on my bike (not many could keep up, let alone stop me!), the other (sensible) half says stay at home, and be really sad thinking about her.
Fully understand the reasoning behind it, but it's going to be a pretty ***** Christmas...

Now in tier 4, battening down the hatches as I speak.
But got a barrel of IPA, a Summer Glory golden ale ready, a case of Pilsener, some sloe gin and country wine as well as a selection of shop bought to see me through.

Have to pick up the turkey on Christmas eve from farm shop ten mins away, had to check we're in same county as we're in border country here !

Just glad I managed to finish my job over in next county on Friday.
The new strain sounds nasty and easier to catch so happy just to keep my head down.

Back