Craftybrews darkstar festival ale clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer

Reaction score
This was my first foray into the world of homebrew and... Its pretty good!

Having recently sampled a pint of two of the real macoy at my local of late I was surprised at just how close this came.
There's not a massive amount of information about what your actually getting in the box beyond two packs of hop additions, a bag of non descript specialty grains and a few bags of powdered malt extract.
The instructions are pretty straight forward in spite of the fact I decided that i knew better and topped my boil kettle up before I added any hops from the 6l recommend for the mash. I also used a nylon boiling bag that i purchased instead of the slightly naff looking fabric one provided for the mini mash.
My rendition tastes a little fruitier than the original although I did pitch the yeast a little warm which I have since learned could account for this
I have also since found out about cooling the wort down post boil and not just leaving it to cool on its own which would explain why mine came out far less hop forward and a touch more on the bitter side than expected.
In spite of this I seem to have been forgiven my transgressions and still have a very plesant beer not too far from the original.

In short I would have liked to know a bit more about the recipe just to get a bearing on what ingredients were having what effect and the bag included looks more fit for a sprained wrist than beer but as a kit to start out it seems really good.

I may be a touch bias though because who couldn't love there first batch!

Latest posts

Back