Crystal Dark = Special B

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi you knowledgeable people. Newbie AG question.
Looking at a speckled hen recipe and it states 10% of grain bill is Crystal dark, which I don’t have. Iv got Crystal 60 and Special B. So would I get away using this ?. Like 7% Crystal 60 and 3% special B ?

10% of the grain bill for dark crystal? That seems high. It depends what the recipe designer calls "dark". 90L I would certainly call dark, though it's not as dark as 120L. I really dislike light/medium/dark they're too subjective.

What Baird's call crystal is approx 80L, but for similar colour Fawcett call their malt Dark Crystal. It varies by maltster.

Is there a target EBC or SRM for the recipe as a whole? If so, it should be possible to work out the proportions by adjusting ratio until it matches the intended colour.

All that said, assuming Special B is 120L, the result of mixing in the ratio you stated gives the equivalent of 78L, which on my crib sheet is borderline between what most maltsters would call medium and dark.

It’s on the Brewfather app. 200EBC. My Crystal is 175 and special B is 300 so was thinking like 80-20 ratio? Or am I over thinking this 🤷🏼‍♂️
709D88D3-F085-488A-B799-7E72D2F4788B.png

Hi you knowledgeable people. Newbie AG question.
Looking at a speckled hen recipe and it states 10% of grain bill is Crystal dark, which I don’t have. Iv got Crystal 60 and Special B. So would I get away using this ?. Like 7% Crystal 60 and 3% special B ?
Which recipe are you using. Might be able to get an idea of which crystal to use. Yes, Special B is about the same as Simpson's Double Roasted at 300 ebc.

My recipe is
84.4% Maris otter
9.4% wheat malt
5.6% crystal 55L
0.6% black patent malt
[/
Which recipe are you using. Might be able to get an idea of which crystal to use. Yes, Special B is about the same as Simpson's Double Roasted at 300 ebc.
Old Speckled Hen Clone - Pappy's
Brewfather thanks help much appreciated

Back