Disgorging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Regular.
Reaction score
I think I might have made a mistake with my first sparkling wine... well two!

Firstly I think I should have racked it and left it for longer before bottling to allow it to clear for a bit longer. Secondly and partly due to the first point I now have quite a lot of sediment; not too much but more than I first imagined! :(

I should have used hollow plastic corks and stored upside down and either had a go at disgorging or maybe firing off the yeast before drinking (there's a name for this!) or have done the same with crown caps and maybe the inserts that you can get. I didn't! I used the solid plastic corks! Damn! :oops:

Those who have done a sparkling cider or wine, do you disgorge? store upside down and fire off before you drink? or do you store upright and pour off the drink before the sediment lifts? :hmm:

I don't mind the sediment really, it doesn't bother me but there is quite a bit in this brew! I had plenty of cider in Normandy and that had a small amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, it didn't detract from our enjoyment.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks

Leo

Latest posts

Back