Do I need to fit a more suitable tap to a Buffalo boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Based on the advice I have been given in my previous post I have decided to go down the BIAB route.

I will be buyong a 40l Buffalo boiler and as its BIAB will I still need to change the tap or will the tap do that it comes with? Atually do I actually need to use the tap? Wont I just be pouring the wort straiht into the FV?

Cheers!

Scott

If you are not using immersion chilling then don't pour it when it's hot, you will risk HSA (hot side aeration). If you are going to chill the wort with an immersion chiller then go ahead, the wort needs to be aerated before pitching the yeast.

You'll probably need to use the tap to avoid hops and gunk that settle the boiler getting into your FV.

Thanks for that. I probably will get a chiller or make one.

Could I use a hop bag intead of attaching a new tap and hop strainer?

I would definitely change it. The supplied tap doesn't lock on (although apparently filing a flat spot on the plastic can solve that) so you'd have to stand holding the tap when running off. I also don't think that a length of tubing would reliably push fit onto it which makes it harder to run off without splashing everywhere

Latest posts

Back