D'OH moment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyuptm

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, and happy BH Monday, if you're in the UK!!
Just realised, after about 3 years of brewing (kits and AG) in my "new" shed (well, I call it a brew shed, SWMBO calls it a conservatory...) that the water on tap in there is post my (salt) water softener.
Schoolboy error, I know, but have I been "spoiling" my beer all this time? I have to say, I get better beer in Spain, where I use bottled water, due to being on (dirty!!) well water...
Just doing a kit with water from the kitchen tap (pre softener), so I guess I'll know the answer in a few weeks!!

Hi, and happy BH Monday, if you're in the UK!!
Just realised, after about 3 years of brewing (kits and AG) in my "new" shed (well, I call it a brew shed, SWMBO calls it a conservatory...) that the water on tap in there is post my (salt) water softener.
Schoolboy error, I know, but have I been "spoiling" my beer all this time? I have to say, I get better beer in Spain, where I use bottled water, due to being on (dirty!!) well water...
Just doing a kit with water from the kitchen tap (pre softener), so I guess I'll know the answer in a few weeks!!
I wouldn't say you've been "spoiling" your beer. The real test is how it tastes in the end - everything else is just an academic argument.

It would be an interesting experiment to compare batches brewed with softened Vs tap water.

The science behind it all is that a water softener (the ones you stuff big blocks of salt into) replace calcium ions with sodium ions (from the salt) to reduce timescale. Yeast fermentation benefits from calcium ions, but not from sodium ions. So ideally you don't want to use softened water. But again, whether it makes any noticeable difference will rely on a bunch of other factors specific to your local water and brewing.

We have a water softener here. It has some bypass valves at the back so I can turn it "off" (they were put in at installation rather than intended to be used to turn it off, but it works all the same). I just bypass the water softener for brewing, then turn it back on afterwards.

I have to say, I get better beer in Spain, where I use bottled water, due to being on (dirty!!) well water...
There will be other differences in the water, which can affect other things like mash pH.

But you have probably answered your own question there

Yes, thanks Agent. I now recall that I put isolating valves in when I installed it- good shout!!

Latest posts

Back