Dry January

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just been for a 3.5 mile run too... to the shop and back in the motor car. Sorry shouldn't mock, way things are going it'll be my turn before long. Stay focussed - a month isn't a long time!!

That’s the spirit Gunge.
Be there to pick me up when I fall off ha !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the spirit Gunge.
Be there to pick me up when I fall off ha !

Just to make you feel better.... many years ago a medical condition meant I had to abstain for two YEARS! I was so desperate I ended up supping Kaliber. Ye that's right - Kaliber. All in the past now though, but doesn't stop me having cold sweats just thinking about it.

Just to make you feel better.... many years ago a medical condition meant I had to abstain for two YEARS! I was so desperate I ended up supping Kaliber. Ye that's right - Kaliber. All in the past now though, but doesn't stop me having cold sweats just thinking about it.

2 years !? Bloody help people get less than that for murder these days !!

last xmas i drank 90 :-o units in a week yet I also managed 72 miles on my bike in that same week. both were high scores. what does that mean? :hmm:

apart from being too over the limit to drive so I had to cycle everywhere :lol:

last xmas i drank 90 :-o units in a week yet I also managed 72 miles on my bike in that same week. both were high scores. what does that mean? :hmm:

It means you were burning the candle at both ends - you should have had 180 units and skipped the cycling bit.

It means you have an addictive personality.:lol: Not that 72 miles cycling in a week is that high for a cyclist and just one week at 90 units is too bad either, but I used to do a lot of endurance sports and was surprised how many other participants were recovering alcoholics. I think I have a touch of that myself, but my drinking is much reduced now. (Also my exercise is reduced but I do have a more active job)

Dry January? Is that a thing? Oops, too late now.

And I always insist on a hearty breakfast of several pots of strong coffee and half a dozen roll-ups. Ah, that caffeine and nicotine rush is like a million LEDs all lighting up at once in my head.

I've never smoked but I stopped drinking caffeince a about 3 weeks ago. I used to drink a stupid amount of coffee every day; one of those sports direct massive mugs full (probably about a pint) of strong coffee, then when I got to work I'd go straight to waitrose and get a free coffee.

It's still illegal to cycle when (too) drunk.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 reads:
A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

https://www.quittance.co.uk/help-article/is-it-illegal-to-ride-a-bicycle-when-drunk.

I never cycle when I've had a drink. Not because it's against the law but because I'm more afraid of not spotting/hearing some idiot trying to run me over because my senses and reactions aren't as sharp

It always amazes me when I see people on cycles listening to music on their headphones, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Why did you give it up?

I thought it was effecting my sleep. It turned out that it wasnt the caffiene but that I'm quite sensitive to noise when I'm asleep. But wearing earplugs have solved the problem.

I was also getting this weird eye twitching when looking as screens when I was particularly tired. I thought it was due to not getting good quality sleep but it's defintley the caffiene as I haven't had it since stopping drinking coffee and tea

I lost over two stones on a low carb high protein diet.
I'm now down to 13st 10lbs at 5'8"
Drinking more wine than beer now too.
Plus side... I'm allowed back on top :-)

How much do you all weigh/height?

Sent from my Kitchen Tap Room

A few years ago I tried dry Jan. I didn't feel healthier, didn't feel happier, and on Feb 1st went to a party where I brought with 2 kegs of homebrew. Drank so much I was horrifically vomiting all night, and to this day I still can't really drink Citra single hop beers.

I moved to Ireland for 9 months in 2016 and when I was there I had a mostly vegan diet. I ate meat maybe once a month, did the same amount of exercise as normal, drank more beer, and I felt and looked way healthier than I had before. If I was gonna do an arbitrary month of prohibition, I would personally give up meat.

I’m 13st 2lb and 5’8.
I’m relatively small framed and a big fat gut at the moment which I tell Mrs AK is a fuel tank for a passion waggon !! 🤣

It's still illegal to cycle when (too) drunk.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 reads:
A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

https://www.quittance.co.uk/help-article/is-it-illegal-to-ride-a-bicycle-when-drunk.

I never cycle when I've had a drink. Not because it's against the law but because I'm more afraid of not spotting/hearing some idiot trying to run me over because my senses and reactions aren't as sharp

I don't drink & cycle either, as an example, today I had to wait till 11 to drive (to be under the legal limit) whereas I was fine and would be fully in control of my bike and would have gone for a cycle. But it chucked it down so bu**er that!

6' 1'' ~ 12 st (ish - need to check tonight), ideal summer weight is 156, so 11 st 2 lbs.

About 3 st overweight. But then again, the painkillers flipped my metabolism. Would give up meat instead of beer though.

Latest posts

Back