Dry Lager Yeast how much is enough?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaisleyExport

Opinions are like Ar$eholes, everyone has one!
Reaction score
Hi all,

scratching my head at the moment wrt yeast as I prep for my first lager brewday.

I’ve made a mess of pitch rate in previous batches so I’ve used my copy of “how to brew” to determine how much yeast to pitch and for a 23l batch at SG of 1.048 of Czech Pilsner. it’s pointing me towards approx 385bn cells which equates to about 7 packs of the M84 Magrove Jacks (50bn viable cells per pack).

Before this I was planning on pitching twice the yeast for a lager and bought two packs as each one should do a 23l batch on the pack.
7 packs seems excessive but I don’t want to under pitch.
what are folks views?

I'm about to try my first lager in my brewfridge using same yeast.
Mangrove Jack's instructions say two packs for 23 litres if brewing between 10 - 15 c , rehydrating in 100ml of water at 20 - 25 c and stirring after 15mins before adding to wort.
7 packets sounds way over the top to me
but I am a lagering novice.

Rule of thumb, pitch twice the amount of lager yeast to ale yeast if fermenting cool. As Tanglefoot says, 2 packets at 10-15°C should suffice.

Something else to try: if possible make a 4-5L batch of lager using one sachet, once fermented pitch the yeast cake straight into the 23L batch.

I’ve always done 2 packs for dried lager yeast. The only time I’ve used liquid I’ve done 2 starters with it.

Although I only use liquid yeast the common rule of thumb for dry yeast is 2x 11g packs.

5bn viable cells/g is a pessimistic lower limit and you can expect much better. Fermentis are similar with their 6bn/g estimate and everyone pitches 2 packs of their lager yeasts with good results.

I quickly crunched the numbers and yes, technically 7 packs would be optimum. However, in the real world, unless your a commercial brewer who has to turn around each batch as quickly as possible, 2 packs will suffice nicely, it'll just have a longer lag time before bubbling starts.

Latest posts

Back