Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you got some ice bottles in you 'beer fridge?' If you haven't stick some in their to bring the temp down to cellar temp for your beer

I have 3 Poundland ice packs in it, and my keg sat on the cold tiled floor in the kitchen overnight for the last 2 days. My real fridge was almost empty so I thought I'd manage to fit it in on Wednesday night but it's just too big to fit so I rushed out yesterday lunchtime to find a cheap solution.

The whole "fridge" cost me £4 from Poundland yesterday!

I have 3 Poundland ice packs in it, and my keg sat on the cold tiled floor in the kitchen overnight for the last 2 days. My real fridge was almost empty so I thought I'd manage to fit it in on Wednesday night but it's just too big to fit so I rushed out yesterday lunchtime to find a cheap solution.

The whole "fridge" cost me £4 from Poundland yesterday!

Right, so the makeshift adapter for 8g capsules (it was a napkin) that the previous owner used isn't very good, the 8g bulbs move about like crazy and both have completely leaked out. I've now ordered some 16s and am using the bottom tap. It means I'll need to finish the keg tomorrow.

However, from the bulbs before they leaked out everywhere, I've decided mini kegs are the way forward. The lagers I've planned are out the window and some "real ale" type beers (probably from the Gaham Wheeler book since I got it for Christmas) are the order of the day.

Right, so the makeshift adapter for 8g capsules (it was a napkin) that the previous owner used isn't very good, the 8g bulbs move about like crazy and both have completely leaked out. I've now ordered some 16s and am using the bottom tap. It means I'll need to finish the keg tomorrow.

However, from the bulbs before they leaked out everywhere, I've decided mini kegs are the way forward. The lagers I've planned are out the window and some "real ale" type beers (probably from the Gaham Wheeler book since I got it for Christmas) are the order of the day.

Why are the lagers out the window?

Why are the lagers out the window?

Don't think I can get the right carbonation levels from the minikeg with them. I might decide to do them and bottle them all(especially as it's my brother in law's stag nextMay), but now I've found a method that 1) saves a hell of a lot of time bottling and 2) gives me a beer that tastes like a hand-pulled cask conditioned ale, I think I might concentrate on cask style beers rather than giving the lagers (and wheat beer but that was a 2017 plan) a go.

Is there yet a concensus on kit that just works, every time, without messing? I'm interested in giving something like this a go but the thread has become difficult to fathom with so many sideshoot disussions about differing bits of kit and ways to overcome their shortcuts.

I'm a great believer on getting it right and leaving experimentation until after I've seen how the real thing works. Can I just go and buy a keg and tap and whatever else is or might be needed such that all the bits will fit and will work without recourse to welding equipment or shouting the slang words for ladies undercarriage at whatever I'm trying to populate with nige IPA mk4?

Assume if necessary that I'm prepared to pay slightly over the odds to ensure functionality.

I went to the bike shop today, checked out the CO2 bike pumps and at �£4 for two 16g threaded capsules they are still in the shop!

I came back and had a really good look at the 16g capsule and the 8g capsules that I had and decided that I could do a safe and easy modification to the existing system to use 8g capsules so I:

1. Compared the business ends of the two capsules and discovered that although the shoulders are different the actual penetration bit is the same size on both capsule.

2. Measured the overall length of a brand new 16g capsule and it came to 88mm.

3. Sawed the end off a used 16g capsule and checked that the 8g capsule would go inside it. It did.

4. Built up the bottom of the 16g capsule with kitchen foil so that the length of the two capsules came to +/-80mm.

5. Mixed up some "plastic putty", put it into the 16g capsule, spat on the 8g capsule (the spit stops the plastic putty from sticking), inserted the 8g capsule into the 16g capsule and compressed the two together in a vice until I reached an overall measurement of 88mm; making sure that the 8g capsule was centred within the 16g capsule.

6. Spun the 8g capsule around to release it, checked the smoothness of the putty (it was a bit rough), spat into the capsule again and "fine tuned" the length and smoothness by turning the 8g capsule around before removing it.

7. After letting the putty set (about 15 minutes) I dried the two capsules out with a tissue, placed an "O" ring over the 8g capsule and fitted them together. (The "O" ring centralises the 8g capsule within the 16g capsule.)

8. I then fitted the modified capsule to the Flexi-Tap and IT WORKED!

The one safety proviso is that there is ALWAYS the chance that liquid CO2 will spill out of a capsule when the end is being pierced. To prevent "cold burns" I always wrap the capsule and the piercing device in a thick towel when connecting a new CO2 capsule.

Here's a couple of photographs of what I did.

16g to 8g 1.jpg

16g to 8g 2.jpg

Is there yet a concensus on kit that just works, every time, without messing? I'm interested in giving something like this a go but the thread has become difficult to fathom with so many sideshoot disussions about differing bits of kit and ways to overcome their shortcuts.

I'm a great believer on getting it right and leaving experimentation until after I've seen how the real thing works. Can I just go and buy a keg and tap and whatever else is or might be needed such that all the bits will fit and will work without recourse to welding equipment or shouting the slang words for ladies undercarriage at whatever I'm trying to populate with nige IPA mk4?

Assume if necessary that I'm prepared to pay slightly over the odds to ensure functionality.

I bought this kit from Leyland:

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-system-with-co2-tap-717-p.asp

The first CO2 capsule disappeared within minutes because the pressure controller didn't work properly.

I stripped it down and cleaned the pressure controller. It worked properly but I used a second CO2 capsule checking it out.

I put it into service on the first keg and it worked properly but it used a full 16g CO2 capsule to empty the MK.

At 50p per capsule (buying in bulk) this adds a hefty cost to the price of my beer so I have been looking at alternatives; but I have to stress that if you are prepared to pay the price then my Leyland kit works okay!

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Yes a keg and a party star deluxe tap. A 16g capsule lasts two kegs so not expensive

I went to the bike shop today, checked out the CO2 bike pumps and at �£4 for two 16g threaded capsules they are still in the shop!

I came back and had a really good look at the 16g capsule and the 8g capsules that I had and decided that I could do a safe and easy modification to the existing system to use 8g capsules so I:

1. Compared the business ends of the two capsules and discovered that although the shoulders are different the actual penetration bit is the same size on both capsule.

2. Measured the overall length of a brand new 16g capsule and it came to 88mm.

3. Sawed the end off a used 16g capsule and checked that the 8g capsule would go inside it. It did.

4. Built up the bottom of the 16g capsule with kitchen foil so that the length of the two capsules came to +/-80mm.

5. Mixed up some "plastic putty", put it into the 16g capsule, spat on the 8g capsule (the spit stops the plastic putty from sticking), inserted the 8g capsule into the 16g capsule and compressed the two together in a vice until I reached an overall measurement of 88mm; making sure that the 8g capsule was centred within the 16g capsule.

6. Spun the 8g capsule around to release it, checked the smoothness of the putty (it was a bit rough), spat into the capsule again and "fine tuned" the length and smoothness by turning the 8g capsule around before removing it.

7. After letting the putty set (about 15 minutes) I dried the two capsules out with a tissue, placed an "O" ring over the 8g capsule and fitted them together. (The "O" ring centralises the 8g capsule within the 16g capsule.)

8. I then fitted the modified capsule to the Flexi-Tap and IT WORKED!

The one safety proviso is that there is ALWAYS the chance that liquid CO2 will spill out of a capsule when the end is being pierced. To prevent "cold burns" I always wrap the capsule and the piercing device in a thick towel when connecting a new CO2 capsule.

Here's a couple of photographs of what I did.

Why not use a party star tap? Sounds like hell of a faff and you will have to do this everytime.

The keg alone with the integral gravity tap works fine. All this faffing with C02 is just so you can keep the carbonation levels of the keg for a longer period of time. I usually drink my keg in about 4 days and although I pehaps find the last pint a bit flat I find the rest ok.

Don't think I can get the right carbonation levels from the minikeg with them. I might decide to do them and bottle them all(especially as it's my brother in law's stag nextMay), but now I've found a method that 1) saves a hell of a lot of time bottling and 2) gives me a beer that tastes like a hand-pulled cask conditioned ale, I think I might concentrate on cask style beers rather than giving the lagers (and wheat beer but that was a 2017 plan) a go.

Ah,I see. I thought perhaps you were worried that to can't lager in a mini keg. I totally agee with your reasons for mini kegging though, same reasons I do it

I havent got one but the party star tap is supposed to be great. But there expensive, so this is why some of our more DIY inclinded forumites are trying stuff out with bike pumps, car valves, etc
Yes I can quite understand that. It's easy to see why some people revel in tinkering, not just economy but the satisfaction of DIY and a job well done.

Why not use a party star tap? Sounds like hell of a faff and you will have to do this everytime.

No!

The old 16g capsule now acts as a carrier for an 8g capsule (which are a lot cheaper and easier to source).

All I have to do is slide an "O" ring over the 8g capsule to centralise it in the 16g carrier and after that it's as per normal. :thumb:

With regard to the Party Star tap, I already have a tap (supplied by Leyland) and I'm still trying to get it to work properly. It has all the features of a Party Star tap.

.... I usually drink my keg in about 4 days and although I pehaps find the last pint a bit flat I find the rest ok.

I wish mine would last four days once opened!!! :whistle: :whistle:

However, I do like a head on my beer and I hope to use the MKs as semi-long term (up to four months) easily transported storage, hence still playing with all the possibilities. :thumb: :thumb:

I put this on the offers thread but B&M are doing Old Golden Hen Mini Kegs for �£10.95.

This is especially good for us in NI where these kegs are hard to get. You will need some spare but these cost pennies.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I bought an Old Speckled Hen from Morrisons today for £15. Not bad but the Old Golden Hen would have been a better deal.

When I first knew you could re-use these I trekked across several supermarkets looking for them :( Then I discovered they were only available on the mainland. We also don't have Aldi and Morrisons :(

Counting postage an empty keg doesn't cost much less so it makes sense buying them full of beer.

I've now 7 of these and 2 corny kegs. I much prefer the mini kegs for storage and handiness.

Curious, has anyone tried nitrogen bulbs in their tap system for a smoother pint? I've noticed someone has built an adapter for 8g bulbs. Building a full Nitrogen system for my corney's would be pretty expensive.

Back