Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that red vent thingy on the top supposed to pull straight out in your hand?
Yours
Bevvied (Phd Hamfistedness)

Not really. But only injection molded, and attatched with two very small 'blips' of plastic if I remember correctly.

Don't worry, it is designed in a way that the secondary red bit pushes up against the black rubber to seal under pressure. Bit like an aircraft window. (Internal pressure creates the seal to a lower external pressure)

A bit of mild destruction is required. But makes for no rusty scratches on the top of the keg. :-)

Last edited:
Bitten the bullet and ordered up the party star deluxe mini keg system for £67.49 from here:
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-systems-159-c.asp

I added a bag of hops and some yeast to get the order value to £75 for the free carriage.

They also do the standard tapped mini-keg kit for £54.99 (although they didn't have any standard taps in-stock when I called which swung things in favour of the deluxe tapped kit).

Hummed and Hahhed a bit but its my Birthday on Wednesday so Happy Birthday to Me !

image.jpg

I've just taken the bungs out of two kegs which I have reclaimed from my mates house.

The one on the left was drunk about 3 weeks ago, with the dregs still in.

On the right, with dregs and all, has been sitting in the house for at least 3 months. The bung doesn't appear to have survived the ordeal.

I'll be buying a replacement but the moral of the story is clean out the kegs as soon as they're empty!

Ooo that appears to be a total failure of the resin/rubber.

What beer was it, and how was it stored?

It was a pale ale at 4.5%, stored upright at room temperature. The remaining beer could have gone in my fish and chips!

Bitten the bullet and ordered up the party star deluxe mini keg system for �£67.49 from here:
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-systems-159-c.asp

I added a bag of hops and some yeast to get the order value to �£75 for the free carriage.

They also do the standard tapped mini-keg kit for �£54.99 (although they didn't have any standard taps in-stock when I called which swung things in favour of the deluxe tapped kit).

Hummed and Hahhed a bit but its my Birthday on Wednesday so Happy Birthday to Me !

Happy birthday for wednesday!

Would be very interested to see what you think of the party star deluxe kit. Is it worth the extra expense? From my terrible maths you are paying about £40 for the tap dispenser, is it really worth that when the mini kegs already have a tap at the bottom?

Happy birthday for wednesday!

Would be very interested to see what you think of the party star deluxe kit. Is it worth the extra expense? From my terrible maths you are paying about �£40 for the tap dispenser, is it really worth that when the mini kegs already have a tap at the bottom?

That was my thinking with the top tap mini kegs! I suppose it means that you keep it sealed and therefore the beer would last longer? Mine doesn't last that long though but that's not the fault of the keg! :whistle:

image.jpg

I've just taken the bungs out of two kegs which I have reclaimed from my mates house.

The one on the left was drunk about 3 weeks ago, with the dregs still in.

On the right, with dregs and all, has been sitting in the house for at least 3 months. The bung doesn't appear to have survived the ordeal.

I'll be buying a replacement but the moral of the story is clean out the kegs as soon as they're empty!

I'd say that is deffo a post curing failure at point of manufacturing.

I work in the resin, silicone, PU industry and looks like it has perished way to soon. I would say it was kept with temp range and not in contact with anything untoward.

Very weird that one. I have a few bungd that are months and months old. Never seen anything like that.

That was my thinking with the top tap mini kegs! I suppose it means that you keep it sealed and therefore the beer would last longer? Mine doesn't last that long though but that's not the fault of the keg! :whistle:

Exactly! Having read through this thread it seems the beer will survive around four/five days with the bog standard Easy Keg system. I would envisage only putting a fairly light 4% beer in the keg which would get finished easily over a weekend (being thursday to sunday), and could keep my bottles for stronger IPAs etc that I would only be having the odd one of.

Exactly! Having read through this thread it seems the beer will survive around four/five days with the bog standard Easy Keg system. I would envisage only putting a fairly light 4% beer in the keg which would get finished easily over a weekend (being thursday to sunday), and could keep my bottles for stronger IPAs etc that I would only be having the odd one of.

Sensible plan! I have found that if you close the vent between pourings that will stretch the time it will keep.

Quick heads up..
Waitrose have a £30 off any delivery of £100 or more, if you've never had a delivery with them before.
Sensible thing to do for me, is to inform Zelda tonight of the offer. She may do a shop online with them and I could top it up to just over £100 with a keg or three.

Quick heads up..
Waitrose have a £30 off any delivery of £100 or more, if you've never had a delivery with them before.
Sensible thing to do for me, is to inform Zelda tonight of the offer. She may do a shop online with them and I could top it up to just over £100 with a keg or three.

Latest posts

Back