Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound to me like it's the bung. I prime to 20g per keg too and get good carbonation. I take it your making sure the bung is in the 0/closed position before you install the bung? Perhaps try some vaseline around the bung hole before fitting the bung

I use Vaseline. I need to check the bung positioning, must be getting it wrong.

Just noticed a keg of pale ale which as the same valve, the centre turns but was sticky up slightly. Went to lush it down and a load of gas came out.

Just poured a pint of Pilsner with bottom tap and it came flying out so plenty of co2 in th keg, not sure why the party star tap is spluttering.

I use Vaseline. I need to check the bung positioning, must be getting it wrong.

Just noticed a keg of pale ale which as the same valve, the centre turns but was sticky up slightly. Went to lush it down and a load of gas came out.

Just poured a pint of Pilsner with bottom tap and it came flying out so plenty of co2 in th keg, not sure why the party star tap is spluttering.

I havent got the PS tap so havent got any ideas on that

I havent got the PS tap so havent got any ideas on that

I have a theory on what it is. Can't test it until my co2 bulb is empty. Just realised it has been playing up since I have been using 8g bulbs in it with a homemade adapter. I believe it's a 8g in it now. I usually use 16g but the bulb was left in it from a stout so should be a 8g

I was wrong, my adapter is in the cupboard so not sure what is wrong with it. Perhaps the party star needs some carbonation? I have to leave loads of co2 in to get it going and then it splutters. Bottom tap works ok but doesn't poor a decent pint compared to the party star when working correctly

Does anybody struggle with putting the grey bungs in, I occasionally end up pushing the silicone middle peg into the keg accidentally. Maybe I don't need to uee vaseline on these.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a technique for getting those valve things out of hobgoblin mini kegs?

With effort.:lol: You have to pull out the wee black tab then hit the bit in the middle into the keg with a hammer and screwdriver. That's the easy bit. To get the other bit out I had to CAREFULLY make slices into the red plastic and pull with pliers. (be careful not to scratch the metal) Took me a good while with the first one but I found it easier the next few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a proper operation.

I had a practice on one a few weeks ago. It went badly.

About half way through drinking one. I'll have another try on that.

I used brut force - but there are vids on youtube like this :-
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe8oeqhLc-A[/ame]

Is it possible to use the standard bungs on the mini kegs instead of the vented ones? I normally open the tap with the vent closed anyway and the vented bungs are a bit of a ballache to change.

The black bungs with the red inserts are supposed to be the easier ones to remove. The Hobgoblin kegs have the red bungs with black inserts which are a bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same bungs in Old Speckled Hen kegs............just removed two and it was a nightmare. I find pouring boiling water on the top of the keg till it fills up to the rim and leaving it for a couple of minutes helps by softening the bung a little, but even then it takes considerable brute force to get it out.

Same bungs in Old Speckled Hen kegs............just removed two and it was a nightmare. I find pouring boiling water on the top of the keg till it fills up to the rim and leaving it for a couple of minutes helps by softening the bung a little, but even then it takes considerable brute force to get it out.

Cut them. Create little slits in them and pull them out

I tried the Little slots.

It was all going well, then the f%@()#£r fell inside. Gutted.

What's the easiest brands to get out?

Got a selection of shops near by

Latest posts

Back