Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting the derision Hydrogen attracts amongst those same people who are so sensitive regarding any criticism at all of EVs. I think it is obvious that very brief refuelling stops appeal to those who cannot easily charge at home, or like to go on long journeys - and this sector of the market will have to be catered for if the 100% conversion to EVs that politicians seem to advocate is to be achieved. As for the maturity of hydrogen, it is hardly a surprise it is so far behind Lithium EVs when one considers the level of subsidy that the latter has received.

There are pros and cons of all vehicle types, and therefore my view has always been that the 100% EV model is the wrong target, I agree with those like Toyota who advocate a mix of solutions. Recent coverage suggests they may be on to something. I think our politicians are stupid enough to keep gunning for 100% EV though. Labours current policy (I think, unless I have missed the latest U turn) is to reinstate the UK only 2030 ban on ICE car sales, taking us out of step with the rest of Europe. That's obviously an absurd stance.

https://fortune.com/2024/02/08/toyota-hybrid-vehicles-carmakers-strategy-electric-vehicles-hype/

Finally, I think when a solution for HGVs, far, equipment etc is delivered that tech (whatever it is) could end up permeating the car market.

My problem with hydrogen is that it solves one problem with EVs - fast refuelling at dedicated locations - at the expense of pretty much every other aspect.

Just the economics of it don't seem to add up. From power generation to the wheels of your car, hydrogen is less than half as efficient. So assuming you have a hydrogen pump and a supercharger next to each other, the hydrogen is going to be at least double the cost per mile. I say at least, because a super charger costs in the tens of thousands of pounds range to install, whereas the hydrogen pump costs over a million.

Hydrogen had billions of dollars chucked at it in the US in the 2000s before anyone had shown that EVs could work for anything with more performance than a milk float, so it was given a chance. Perhaps the money just came at the wrong time, but I think more than that the problem was that the transition was too hard to make.

That's not to say I think it has no use. I think that it could well be used for HGVs, buses, small generators, excess power storage, but I think there's a reason there's no 'Hydrogen Cars' thread on this forum.

20240216_091821.jpg

And then they’d read the small print and realise:

You can’t charge it at home while you’re asleep.

The fuel price means it will likely cost about 4 x more per mile to run

It has thousands of moving parts that need regular servicing to keep them going

It pumps poisonous gasses into the air through a pipe at the back as it moves along

You’d have to buy a ICE super car to match the acceleration of an EV

You’ll have to pay Road tax on it

Yeah but it will have a gearbox and make a loud noise, anyway who are these people who say ice cars are bad, are they like the sugar police or the fat is bad for you brigade you know the type we know what is good for you, bit like the alcohol police you are only allowed 14 units a week biggest con trick in history and everyone fell for it. you guessed it i will do what i want and not what somebody in a white coat tells me they want to live i life of for ever graving let em it's not for me:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:acheers.

Tell me if i am talking ****, is not possible to fit a high output altenator on an ev
Is possible, but the electrical drag created will render it useless. Works well in an ICE car, where it does create the same drag, except you use fuel to overcome the load. In an electric car you would generate less electricity than it takes to compensate for the extra load. Similar to your AC unit in an electric car. The bigger the generator, the harder the device spinning it has to work. Thats why regeneration on electric cars is a thing.

Last edited:
And then they’d read the small print and realise:
You can’t charge it at home while you’re asleep.
The fuel price means it will likely cost about 4 x more per mile to run
It has thousands of moving parts that need regular servicing to keep them going
It pumps poisonous gasses into the air through a pipe at the back as it moves along
You’d have to buy a ICE super car to match the acceleration of an EV

You’ll have to pay Road tax on it

That gets my vote for post of the week and its not over yet.

My Ioniq6 is on 3 years 0% PCP. Gauranteed minimum future value. I'll ride out the EV storm until they decide whats going to win. Its just VHS vs Betamax all over again. As i said earlier, I'm saving more than £50 a month on road tax, and my " fuel costs" are less than 25% of what they were. For me it is a no brainer, but appreciate that its not for everyone.

For me it is a no brainer,

Same here, I have said many times i would go full EV tomorrow if i had off street parking, its a hybrid for me next as i dont.

This is a no brainer for anyone who cannot charge at home why would you buy a new ICE car these days?

Kia ev6 45 thousand 275 quid base model ffs it's a kia then factor in massive depresation, just found a 22 plate 28 thousand 500 jeez that is some loss, it's a no from me

So it's lost 38% in 2 years and however many miles

For comparison you can buy a ford Kuga for the same £42k (FFS it's a ford!) And it will lose 32% if you do 10k miles per year
Or 33% if it's a BMW 320d
Or if you want really good depreciation look at the DS4 or DS7 from Citroen. Ds4 opera for £42795 and it's worth £20k after 3 years. Yep over 50% depreciation

As for the 'its a kia' comment, have you been in one? Don't be a badge snob, they are luxurious inside and built way better than the majority of European and American manufacturers can manage, I would put money on it.
Don't forget the company that brought you the lexus and century crown limos also brought you the Toyota Aygo

Last edited:
KIA and Hyundai are excellent cars if it wasn't for the fact Toyota have been doing the best hybrids by far for many years I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Back