English Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
All this talk of summer beers and the sun shining outside has me hankering for BBQ and beer :party:
And after a hot spell in front of the grill and smoker I enjoy an ice cold tasty lager :cheers:

Here is what I am planning for tomorrows brew

21L, OG 1.049, 35 IBU predicted abv 4.7%

3.5kg pale malt
500g flaked maize
150g caramalt
150g wheat malt
90 minute mash @ 65C

15g Magnum pellets 75 minutes boil
35g Saaz whole hops 45 minutes boil
15g Saaz hot soak

Yeast is Ritchie products "Real Lager Yeast" (Don't judge me, it's what I could get at short notice :( )
Starter is made up and hopefully ready to pitch tomorrow :)
I will start the ferment warm ish 16C and lower to 10C for the main ferment. Lagering will be at 5C for 4 weeks :cheers:

I think I'll call it laRger :lol:

I like the look of this one. :thumb:

Got me thinking now :wha: might try something similar myself.

A sort of crossover :wha: beer/lager :hmm:

Hope it goes well,will be keeping my eyes peeled :thumb:

llannige said:
A sort of crossover :wha: beer/lager :hmm:
This is definitely going to be lager not ale :thumb:
But you can brew a "similar" drink using a neutral ale yeast and fermenting cool but it will be an ale :thumb:

Anyway, liquor treated, timer set, time to finish this beer and go to bed for a few hours :D

tubby_shaw said:
This is definitely going to be lager not ale :thumb:
But you can brew a "similar" drink using a neutral ale yeast and fermenting cool but it will be an ale

Yeh that's just what I had in mind :hmm:

Mash has been on about an hour and a 1/4

Usual selection of piccies :)

Yeast stater
LaRgergrist002.jpg

The grist
LaRgergrist001.jpg

Overshot a tad on temp
LaRgergrist003.jpg

A few more pics and info

The end of the sparge and the start of boil, I stopped the sparge when the running indicated a gravity of 1.015 corrected for temperature. This gave 24L pre boil.
002.jpg

No first wort hops so more foam at the start of the boil than I normally experience
003.jpg

The draff in the spring sunshine :D
004.jpg

The Saaz hops
005.jpg

A bit of a steamy pic but the Saaz being added to the boil. I love the smell of hot Saaz :party:
006.jpg

More to come if you want it.

BrewStew said:
tubby_shaw said:
More to come if you want it.

bring em on! :D

looks awesome mate :clap:
Oh if you insist :lol:

Immersion chiller sanitising and 1/2 a protafloc tablet added
008.jpg

Cooling over, waiting for the break material to settle and OMG look at the amount of CR4P in there :shock:
009.jpg

That was with 1/2 a protafloc tablet, if I'd used a whole one would it have been all trub and no wort :?

tubby_shaw said:
That was with 1/2 a protafloc tablet, if I'd used a whole one would it have been all trub and no wort :?
I use 0.8g of protoflc in 40L, and get a decent hot break . . . . . you may find you are overdoing the protofloc and that is why you have such a large loose deposit . . . Murphys protofloc is designed for BIG kettles at over 1 Hectolitre and the dose rate I have is 1-4g per hectolitre

Aleman said:
tubby_shaw said:
I use 0.8g of protoflc in 40L, and get a decent hot break . . . . . you may find you are overdoing the protofloc and that is why you have such a large loose deposit . . . Murphys protofloc is designed for BIG kettles at over 1 Hectolitre and the dose rate I have is 1-4g per hectolitre
That's good to know, thanks :cheers:
Which copper finings would you recommend for smaller batches? As I can't practically measure 0.4 g :(

Ok all done and dusted apart from the cleaning :(

I got my 21L but at 1.052, I think I am going to stop sparging sooner on my next brew to see what difference it makes :hmm:

It's a nice golden colour but there's a lot of suspended solids in there :(
DSC00164.jpg

Yeast pitched :D
DSC00165.jpg

And because I know you want it here's a dirty picture :rofl:
DSC00163.jpg

Poxy fekkin cheap **** lager yeast :twisted:
This brew almost ended up being a kolsch style brew :roll:
Although I pitched two packs of actively fermenting yeast on Wednesday evening I only got a positive show of fermentation yesterday evening.
I had the SO4 on standby and it would have been pitched yesterday if it hadn't sorted itself out.
Got a nice eggy fart ferment going now though :lol: :thumb:

Cheers Wez :cheers:
The one thing I seem to have more of as I get older is patience :thumb:
I've certainly got less money hair and teeth :( :lol:

Latest posts

Back