equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foster75

Reaction score
Hi all this is all very new to me. I'm looking to start brewing so I'm looking for an equipment shopping list for a beginner. Links would be good.
Cheers
Dave

Welcome to the forum!

Kit as follows: http://www.wilko.com/search?q=homebrewing&setpagenum=1&perpage=12

Wilko have a lot of good stuff, relatively cheap.

You'll need: A fermenting bin

Sanitising solution

A beer kit (personal recommendation is Woodforde's Wherry)

Some dried malt extract (also called brew enhancer)

Siphon tube

Bottles (go to your local and ask for a load of ale/cider bottles)

crown caps

Crown capper

Sugar for priming

Off the top of my head, that's about it for your first brew. You can find all of that on Wilko or instore.

:D

Might be an idea if your a complete beginner with no gear to go for one of the Coopers all-in-one kits. You sometimes get them on offer at Tesco Direct (online) for about ~£53.

There's a couple of good vids on them at Youtube (search for Coopers kit & craigtube).

Only thing extra I can think of that you would need to get started would be some sanitiser. I started with Milton (available in any supermarket).

Good luck... oh, and welcome :drink:

imho what you need is:
a hydrometer and trial jar
a big bucket or FV
an accurate thermometer

Most kitchens have measuring jugs, and scales and big spoons.

bottles can be recycled, pet pop bottles even the big 2l+ ones are great you just need to decant them out in one due to the inevitable sediment of an unfiltered live beer, tipping back n forth over pint glasses is a recipe for yeasty pints, if u use 2l bottles get a big jug ;).

you can add as much kit and equipment as you like but to start out and dip your toes in the water of home brewing neednt involve a huge investment.

Cleaning and sanitation can be achieved with laundry oxi (unscented!!) as a soak cleaner and bleach as a sanitiser, with bleach rinse well 3 times.. soap and detergents are avoided as a trace will kill any head on a pint.

i use laundry oxi and a no rinse sanitiser, it involves a £15 investment in the bottle of no rinse starsan sanotiser, but its a good 5+ years supply ;)

2 crucial things
1) you cant be too clean but never scrub anything plastic as scratches can harbor bugs,
2) dont believe the time periods on the kit label, rely on gravity, hydrometer readings constant over 3 days to determine if the beer has finished fermenting, and when bottled leave in the warm for a fortnight before sitting in the cold for 2-4weeks to mature.
by all means sample along the way but dont expect the best from a kit for a couple of months after you start brewing it. Kits can suggest the beer is drinkable within 3 weeks, i think ive seen 21 days on a kit before ??????

most of all enjoy yourself.. and if u c*ck up a lil dont fret beer wants to be brewed and is generally very forgiving of the odd error,

with good cleanliness and patience the kits on the shelves these days will let you brew a pint as good as many commercial offerings.

Hi all this is all very new to me. I'm looking to start brewing so I'm looking for an equipment shopping list for a beginner. Links would be good.
Cheers
Dave

Not sure on your budget.

I got this starter kit which includes a 2 can premium beer kit (Milestone Lions Pride) plus a king keg 'top tap' pressure barrel:
http://www.home-brew-online.com/starter-kits-c47/beer-lager-c50/milestone-complete-mini-brewery-p501

Its a great quality kit and sets you up well - thought is was decent value at £79.95

Only small issue I had was the supplied CO2 bulb holder that screws onto the valve in the barrel lid didn't work for me (the threads were too long to allow the bulb to be punctured on the pin in the valve) - quick call to home brew online and they swapped it for a better quality bulb holder, one with metal threads.

Whatever kit you buy - if you are using a pressure barrel make sure you test it filled with water so if there are any issues with leaks etc you can resolve them before you have your beer in it !

Good luck with whatever you buy, its good fun this brewing lark !

Latest posts

Back