Erlenmeyer flask for starters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I am being a bit of a tight wad here but since I am going to delve into liquids I think I may have to look at doing starters especially since my brewing is going to be outside where it might pick up more microbs ect..

is 1000ml enough or do I really need to consider 2liter

Also how much dme is reccomended for a starter? I hear a cup full but that sounds a lot and a cup is a bit of a non explicit measurement?

If your planning on buying an Erlenmeyer flask your being the opposite of a tight wad as they're flippin expensive.

When culturing up yeast from bottles (more or less the same as making a starters - Like you I'll be using liquid yeasts for the first time soon though) I just use pop/water bottles. Just boil the DME/starter liquid for 15 mins in a pot on your stove, cool and tip it into the sanitised water bottles. I'm planning on using 2L and 5L water bottles.

Starter medium is usually 100ml DME/1L water for 1.038.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that.. I have a couple of pet demijohns which I use for the odd TC.. I could use them.

Might pick your brains when it comes to harvesting time

I'm going to harvest, rinse with DME starter wort and make a starter with a mauribrew dried yeast starting tomorrow in a similar way to how I plan to do it with liquid yeast. It cost me about a fiver total because of the postage so I want to get some reuses out of it.

I'm not an expert an I've only really done bottle culturing but I'm pretty familiar with the theory of havesting and reusing yeast so pick away.

Back