False bottom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Zee

Reaction score
I made a false bottom with tubing around the edeg to make the seal. The problem is grain gets into the tubing. So when cleaning I have to take the tubing off and clean through. Is there something that would fill the tubing, make the seal and stick it to the mesh? Has antone tried something like food safe silcone sealer?

Any ideas?

unclepumble said:
Silicone sealant will make a right mess don't do it, and am not sure its foodsafe.
Just because your manual dexterity factor is a negative number Shane, dosen't mean that others can't make a reasonable job with silicon.
It's more than food safe, it's tropical fish safe!

so is Fernox LSX silicone but be aware when I used some to re-attach the gasket to my conical lid as it cures it emits acetic acid (strong vinegar smell) for at least 3 days. Personally on my perforates s/s false bottom I remove the sealing tube and run hot water (collected from the IC) through to clean any grain debris (not that there is ever that much anyway)

I've had a rethink, it took me all of a minute to take the tubing of and clean the grain out. It'll probably take me 2 to reattach it with a few twists of wire.

If I stick it on with silicone

a - I can't guarantee it'll stay stuck
b - I'll make a mess

I'll be leaving mine how it is.

evanvine said:
unclepumble said:
Silicone sealant will make a right mess don't do it, and am not sure its foodsafe.
Just because your manual dexterity factor is a negative number Shane, dosen't mean that others can't make a reasonable job with silicon.
It's more than food safe, it's tropical fish safe!

I'll take that as a personal attack, My manual dexterity is just fine thanks, Jim.

You are not eating or drinkng the fish or the water the tropical fish live in, One of the reasons I drink beer is the fact that waters not safe as fish Feck in it>

It also depends which grade of silicone sealant you are using they are not all Foodsafe, if its FDA approved it will be far and above food safe.

UP

unclepumble said:
I'll take that as a personal attack, My manual dexterity is just fine thanks, Jim.
Sorry UP, nothing malicious meant.
If you have ever tried keeping "Discus", you will know that they are super sensitive to water conditions.
I would willing drink the water they have been kept in.
Damn it, I would even brew with it!
Aquarium grade silicon is ok by me.

evanvine said:
Aquarium grade silicon is ok by me.
Once cured ;) Acetoxysilane :evil: . . . And soaked . . . . and rinsed . . .

Yeah . . . Discus are a PITA to keep, even with my, very soft, water . . . . . . . Have thought about doing a continual 2 gallon per day water change using RO water . . . but I keep a planted tank and that would flush all the nutrients out.

Back