Fasting to reset the immune system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guy puts forward a very plausible reason as to why black and hispanic people are getting hit more severely than white people.
From a medical viewpoint, I hasten to add.

Just watched Bevvied's Vit D video link. At 7:39 min In it the chap explains how vit d reduces inflammatory cytokyes in the body. . Covid -19 can cause people to develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). These cyctockyes can cause the alveoli in the lungs to become inflammed. Fluid then collects in these alveoli and the person cant get oxygen in there blood so they can die.
Fasting reduces inflammation in the body. So perhaps fasting help protect against secondary infections like ARDS in a similar way to the way Vit D can?

Stop eating and get fasting, ya fat gits!!! :laugh8:

"New British research suggests being overweight or obese could make coronavirus more life threatening

Being overweight has emerged as one of the most important risk factors in getting admitted to hospital with severe forms of coronavirus, the biggest study of British people with the disease will say.
The Telegraph understands analysis of 15,100 hospitalised patients from across the UK has identified how carrying excess weight increases the likelihood that severe complications will develop from Covid-19".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...lead-serious-coronavirus-hospital-admissions/

It'll be fine one guy said he lost two stone when he got covid it's not all bad news wink...

But it's probably not a good time for any vulnerable person to start a diet or fast until this pandemic is over.

I was the kind of person that couldn't go 4 hours without eating, I'd get shaky and irritable (hangry), dizzy and would generally feel awful if I got 'hypo' (I'm not diabetic). I was ALWAYS hungry. I tried 5:2 and failed miserably as I felt awful and ended up eating everything on non fasting days. I've tried everything to lose weight and always yo-yo'd between being ok with my weight and approx 1-1.5 stones overweight. The only way I could keep my weight down was to suffer!

A few months ago, I decided to try the ketogenic diet (max 20g carbs per day). Absolute life changer for me. I literally never get hungry now, have heaps of energy and can fast for 18 odd hours with no trouble at all. I pretty much eat OMAD (one meal a day) now.
I'm working up to 24+ hour fasts.
The weight has fallen off and I don't feel like I'm on a diet!

There is a lot of research showing that high/uncontrolled blood sugar is implicated in worse outcomes for Covid-19. Keto is an easy way to keep blood sugar under control, so for me, I'm sticking with it, especially whilst this virus is about.

Only problem is beer has loads of carbs, so that makes keto tricky! I'm trying to brew lower carb beers and not drink too many of them!

I first got into it after seeing Michael Mosley's stuff on IF. He goes into a lot of the science behind why it works in those TV shows and his books.
I get a lot of my info these days from r/ketoscience which has a wealth of stuff relevant to the current Covid situation.

I was the kind of person that couldn't go 4 hours without eating, I'd get shaky and irritable (hangry), dizzy and would generally feel awful if I got 'hypo' (I'm not diabetic). I was ALWAYS hungry. I tried 5:2 and failed miserably as I felt awful and ended up eating everything on non fasting days. I've tried everything to lose weight and always yo-yo'd between being ok with my weight and approx 1-1.5 stones overweight. The only way I could keep my weight down was to suffer!

A few months ago, I decided to try the ketogenic diet (max 20g carbs per day). Absolute life changer for me. I literally never get hungry now, have heaps of energy and can fast for 18 odd hours with no trouble at all. I pretty much eat OMAD (one meal a day) now.
I'm working up to 24+ hour fasts.
The weight has fallen off and I don't feel like I'm on a diet!

There is a lot of research showing that high/uncontrolled blood sugar is implicated in worse outcomes for Covid-19. Keto is an easy way to keep blood sugar under control, so for me, I'm sticking with it, especially whilst this virus is about.

Only problem is beer has loads of carbs, so that makes keto tricky! I'm trying to brew lower carb beers and not drink too many of them!

I tried low carb last summer. It definately worked. I've never been fat but I was like whippet after about 6 weeks on low carb. I like carbs too much. I follow high carb (about 80%-90%) whole food diet

Keto basically mimic fasting as after you've burned off all your glycogen you go into ketosis.

If you want to try a low carb beer you could try my Blone Brut(e). It has 4 carbs for a 12oz/330ml bottle

MyQul's Brewday post 234

If you want to work out how many carbs are in a beer I found this calc when I was doing low carb

http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml

Thanks so much @MyQul !
I like carbs too, and I do a 'carb-up' once a week or so if I feel myself getting a bit off. (I'm female and I think it can mess with your hormones a bit if you are super low carb all the time).
I'll have a go at that recipe next brewday, thanks! What purpose do the rice crispies serve? I like the idea of using the enzyme to clear up any residual carbs!

Thanks so much @MyQul !
I like carbs too, and I do a 'carb-up' once a week or so if I feel myself getting a bit off. (I'm female and I think it can mess with your hormones a bit if you are super low carb all the time).
I'll have a go at that recipe next brewday, thanks! What purpose do the rice crispies serve? I like the idea of using the enzyme to clear up any residual carbs!

They produce very fermentable sugars (in fact you could just use table sugar) which dries the beer out and lets it crank down closer to 1.000 than grain and make the brew taste more lager like. Use flaked rice if your ordering in for the brew. I just used rice crispies as I wasnt

Have a look at my posts after the initial brewday post. I felt it could do with a bit more flavour perhaps from a dry hop or hop tea additon. But I think forumite @prog99 did my Blonde Brut(e) for a function of some kind and I think he said it went down very well

Great thanks @MyQul I often add a little table sugar to dry things out, so maybe I'll do that instead. I like my beers pretty hoppy so I'll tweak and play around with the hops I have. I've got a low ABV amarillo pale quite similar to that on the go at the moment which I'm dry hopping. If I can get the amylase I might chuck a little in and see what happens.

Great thanks @MyQul I often add a little table sugar to dry things out, so maybe I'll do that instead. I like my beers pretty hoppy so I'll tweak and play around with the hops I have. I've got a low ABV amarillo pale quite similar to that on the go at the moment which I'm dry hopping. If I can get the amylase I might chuck a little in and see what happens.

You can add as much sugar percentage wise as rice crispies (Forumite drunkula has done some experimentation around this and has added iirc 30%. with no ill effect). Be aware that because there is no malt sweetness to balance out the hops because the FG is so low, you need to be a bit careful. If you want to add lots of hot flavour rather than bitterness, I'd defiantely go for big dry hop or hop tea additions

Have a look at my posts after the initial brewday post. I felt it could do with a bit more flavour perhaps from a dry hop or hop tea additon. But I think forumite @prog99 did my Blonde Brut(e) for a function of some kind and I think he said it went down very well
Yes, recommended, went down very well. Perhaps a little bit of extra punch from dry hopping but only I noticed.

Last edited:
So I think my foray into the low carb world has changed my taste for beer somewhat. I've really gone off sweet things generally, and now I am finding that my homebrew tastes too sweet (OH assures me it is the same as it has always been so I have to assume it is my taste that has changed). Do you think that adding the amylase into my normal APA would help to dry out the flavour a bit @MyQul ? I don't want to ruin my beer but at the same time, I don't think I can drink it as it is!
I'm going to make your recipe on Monday by the way, thanks for sharing that!

So I think my foray into the low carb world has changed my taste for beer somewhat. I've really gone off sweet things generally, and now I am finding that my homebrew tastes too sweet (OH assures me it is the same as it has always been so I have to assume it is my taste that has changed). Do you think that adding the amylase into my normal APA would help to dry out the flavour a bit @MyQul ? I don't want to ruin my beer but at the same time, I don't think I can drink it as it is!
I'm going to make your recipe on Monday by the way, thanks for sharing that!

Yes it does dry it out quite considerably. BUT with conditioning (I found 4-6 weeks was necessary) it all comes together beautifully and what you end up with is an ale that tastes exactly like a light lager. However if you just chuck the amylase into an normal APA you may find it's way too bitter as ALL the malt sweetness has been demolished by the Amylase. Perhaps dialling the bittering hops back a bit may help

That's great thanks so much @MyQul
I recently was given some sanders yeast which might work well for that style...

Back