February 2023 competition - Dark beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

@dave_77 is judging January's American pale competition this weekend so it's time to start thinking about February's!

Category is "Dark beers" so lots of possible styles acceptable here. Give us a shout if you're unsure.

I'll get a couple of local beers out to the winner as a prize including this lovely chilli stout from Ampersand. IMG_20230202_191837016.jpg

Drop me a PM for address or if you've sent me a beer before, I'm at the same address.

Cheers! acheers.

Oh no. Not dark beers again. Anything from imperial pastry and chilli oil-sump sludge porter to fluffy dunkel-lager via India pale dark mild! How can you compare such a variety of ligitimate styles? Why can't we have a green beer month to commemorate Paddy's Day?
Green Guinness anyone?
🤣🤣🤣

Joking aside, a mild month, for example, would be great (light or dark). Isn't dark beer a bit too broad?

Oh no. Not dark beers again. Anything from imperial pastry and chilli oil-sump sludge porter to fluffy dunkel-lager via India pale dark mild! How can you compare such a variety of ligitimate styles? Why can't we have a green beer month to commemorate Paddy's Day?
Green Guinness anyone?
🤣🤣🤣

Joking aside, a mild month, for example, would be great (light or dark). Isn't dark beer a bit too broad?
It is very broad and it has been discussed before. It's very difficult judging a mild against an imperial stout. Normally the stronger beers come out on top.

If 17 SRM qualifies as “dark” then I have a beer I’d welcome your feedback on please. Let me know if it’s allowed in 🤞
What style is it? I reckon that might be a bit light for a dark beer category.

Happy to do a swap instead for some feedback?

It’s a Brown Ale. PM me your address and I’ll get a bottle off to you. If it isn’t to the style of the comp just disqualify me and let me know what you think anyway 🍻

View attachment 81879
It's definitely a style that seems to sit between 2 of the competition categories - Dark and then British pales & bitters. What do others think? @Leon103?

Latest posts

Back