fermentation bucket heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moth

Reaction score
Hi can you use a fish tank heater with the thermostat ,if so what size heater for 40 pint bucket, cheers

Hi can you use a fish tank heater with the thermostat ,if so what size heater for 40 pint bucket, cheers

A) not directly in the wort. Common practice is to put the brew bucket in a bigger bucket filled with water. Like a builder's trug. This has the value of adding thermal mass that can help with stability of temperature.
B) the thermostat on the heaters is not great. The hysteresis is usually large and the calibration is iffy. Better to think of it as a failsafe and to use an inkbird to do the temp control.
C) wattage? Well, how long is a piece of string? Ambient storage conditions. Desired fermentation temp. Etc etc.
I get away with a 35w (just) for a 30L fermenter in a large trug (another 15L of water) in my garage for ferm temps between 12 and 22 degrees.

Umfana

Ok thanks for the information, things have changed so much from when I used to brew, with all the technology

Latest posts

Back