FermZilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just completed a stout in my fermentasauraus. It cam out diffrent tasting to normal. Really creamy and smooth.
different in a good way? Or are there some negatives as well?

Pressure fermenting can get a bit messy if you aren't careful, OK for lagers not so good for ales. If you check out Terri Fahrendorf, Closed System Pressurised fermentation. All she does is explain that to ferment as normal and at the end of fermentation with a couple of points to go close the PRV and naturally carbonate the beer. But it has taken a completely different tack since then.
Lots of bolts to undo to clean the butterfly valve on the Fermzilla, and as I said can get very messy if you aren't careful.
e73eb64d4dfacb4f86b9945dcba4a4cf.jpg

That looks like fun to clean up. On the plus side i have finally found a way of getting the rotten smells out of my fridge. Half a marg tub of bicarbonate of soda neutralises the smell. Takes about a week to work but that fridge smells fresh again.

Will it take a low wattage belt heater without melting? Waiting for the 55l versions so i can try some pressure fermenting. Not sure if i will bother to drop the yeast though as not having an issue in buckets. Does everyone using them tend to dump the yeast?

Will it take a low wattage belt heater without melting? Waiting for the 55l versions so i can try some pressure fermenting. Not sure if i will bother to drop the yeast though as not having an issue in buckets. Does everyone using them tend to dump the yeast?
When I spoke to Kegland, they advised no belts. But if you do have one, use a temp controller.

So, chucked in my first brew. Bought some Mosaic and Amarillo (both leaf) and Simcoe (pellets). Will it be as simple as just add them into the bottom container and open that?
IMG-20191005-WA0002.jpeg

I not sure but I think that the bottom valve should be open so when it full of gunk you close it and dump the contents, I'm sure someone who has one will come along and put you straight.

Bottom valve should be open. You're just going to introduce a bunch of oxygen mid-fermentation otherwise.

I thought the German purity laws meant that all their lagers are pressure fermented, as force carbing isn't allowed. Their lagers are pretty good acheers.
Your right the Germans do use the co2 from fermentation to carbonate their lagers, but they do not pressure ferment, they do what I mentioned earlier for carbonating ales and stout. Cap the spunding valve towards the end of fermentation to get the required fermentation.

So, chucked in my first brew. Bought some Mosaic and Amarillo (both leaf) and Simcoe (pellets). Will it be as simple as just add them into the bottom container and open that?
View attachment 20931

If you are not pressure fermenting just unscrew the top off the Fermzilla and drop the hops in.

Pressure fermenting can get a bit messy if you aren't careful, OK for lagers not so good for ales. If you check out Terri Fahrendorf, Closed System Pressurised fermentation. All she does is explain that to ferment as normal and at the end of fermentation with a couple of points to go close the PRV and naturally carbonate the beer. But it has taken a completely different tack since then.
Lots of bolts to undo to clean the butterfly valve on the Fermzilla, and as I said can get very messy if you aren't careful.
e73eb64d4dfacb4f86b9945dcba4a4cf.jpg

Looks fun :laugh8:

Fermentasaurus 3, spring loaded plunger down the centre, which also doubles as a thermowell, no butterfly valve to strip down and clean. I also believe it has an extra in the way of a bend with a camlock fitting so dumping of trub can go straight into a bucket. Could be an excellent alternative to the Fermzilla seeing all the problems they are having in getting them to seal, dents in the PET body.
Fermentasaurus 3.jpg
cooling the fermentasaurus 3.jpg

Last edited:
That also has a cooling / heating coil in it. thats very intresting. I dont get why they would go back to a small neck at the bottom. thats one of the hangups that it blocks. @foxy where did you get this info?

Are the fermzilla reports coming back that its rubbish then?

That also has a cooling / heating coil in it. thats very intresting. I dont get why they would go back to a small neck at the bottom. thats one of the hangups that it blocks. @foxy where did you get this info?

Are the fermzilla reports coming back that its rubbish then?
I've had no issues what so ever. It seals fine and if you dent the PET body... you're mishandling it.

It does look like they have learnt their lessons. Im very tempted to get one.
The Ferm3 though, looks great, but I'd still go with the FermZ because of the wider neck at the bottom of the conical and the bigger sediment container.

Latest posts

Back