FermZilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fermentasaurus 3 is being released soon, if you are thinking of getting another PET fermenter I would be waiting for that. I have the F2 and am very happy with them.
What’s the Fermentasaurus 2? I thought there was only the original one out and V2 was the one out later this year?

I thought the Fermzilla was the follow-up.
From what I understand from a couple of things I read online, there was some kind of split in the Fermentasaurus camp. Part of the team left and developed the Fermzilla and the others (who held the trademark) developed the Fermentasaurus 2.

I really need to learn about the pressure side of the FermZilla as people seem to be raving on about it.

Pressure fermentation was definitely the selling point for me. I would like to carbonate in the fermenter and bottle. I need to order a spunding valve and pressure kit.

Pressure fermentation was definitely the selling point for me. I would like to carbonate in the fermenter and bottle. I need to order a spunding valve and pressure kit.
See I got all that, but I haven't a f**ing clue what to do. Do you know if there's anywhere I can watch tutorials for pressure fermenting?

Pressure fermenting can get a bit messy if you aren't careful, OK for lagers not so good for ales. If you check out Terri Fahrendorf, Closed System Pressurised fermentation. All she does is explain that to ferment as normal and at the end of fermentation with a couple of points to go close the PRV and naturally carbonate the beer. But it has taken a completely different tack since then.
Lots of bolts to undo to clean the butterfly valve on the Fermzilla, and as I said can get very messy if you aren't careful.
e73eb64d4dfacb4f86b9945dcba4a4cf.jpg

Yeah the use of the CO2 produced during fermentation is a great selling point. I can't wait to purge me some kegs with fermentation CO2.

See I got all that, but I haven't a f**ing clue what to do. Do you know if there's anywhere I can watch tutorials for pressure fermenting?
David Heath has a video on this which is a good starting point . Kegland's own YouTube channel has some good videos on using their products. According to my own YT history I've watched these videos:

I can't remember any of them so not sure if they are any good or not.

Bear in mind I've not actually done this yet, this is based on research (so would be good if someone who's done this could confirm/call bullsh*t) but you'll need a pressure kit and spunding valve which are sold separately. The spunding valve sets and regulates the pressure, and the pressure kit enables you to serve/transfer from the pressured vessel to bottles or kegs.

Fermenting under pressure prohibits the production of esters, so you can ferment warmer, meaning a faster fermentation but with less off flavour produced. As @foxy says, great for lagers not so good for ales. But most the flavour profile is imparted on the beer in the first 4 days of fermentation so can add pressure after this. Although, I can imagine like lager, hop forward IPAs requiring clean/neutral yeast profiles could also be pressurised. I've also read of fast ferments with kveik in unitanks.

. As @foxy says, great for lagers not so good for ales. But most the flavour profile is imparted on the beer in the first 4 days of fermentation so can add pressure after this. Although, I can imagine like lager, hop forward IPAs requiring clean/neutral yeast profiles could also be pressurised. I've also read of fast ferments with kveik in unitanks.

Just thinking as I tend to go for IPAs and Stouts, is it even worth me doing it then?

Fermenting under pressure prohibits the production of esters, so you can ferment warmer, meaning a faster fermentation but with less off flavour produced. As @foxy says, great for lagers not so good for ales. But most the flavour profile is imparted on the beer in the first 4 days of fermentation so can add pressure after this. Although, I can imagine like lager, hop forward IPAs requiring clean/neutral yeast profiles could also be pressurised. I've also read of fast ferments with kveik in unitanks.

If thats the main benefit, I'd rather save the expense and buy one of the kviek lager strains which you can ferment up to 30C ish

Just thinking as I tend to go for IPAs and Stouts, is it even worth me doing it then?
I do a lot of ales too including stouts. I plan on pressurising half way through to carbonate the beer and bottle straight away without having to use bottling sugar. I'm hoping for a more uniform distribution of carbonation as I usually get one or 2 bottles which open with a bang, and some have been fizzier than others. It also mean introducing less things to the beer post fermentation which helps prevent infection. TBH for me the "speed" is a secondary concern. (I don't think people really get into homebrewing for a fast-paced hobby.)

If thats the main benefit, I'd rather save the expense and buy one of the kviek lager strains which you can ferment up to 30C ish
I haven't had much luck with kveik yet. After 4 or 5 attempts I've only had 1 ferment in 3-4 days, but I Reckon this is due to my system being infected. Once I've cleared any bugs I'll try kveik out again.

NEIPAs are one of the reasons I've bought one. O2 exposure destroyed so many of my batches far too quickly. So incredibly sensitive to oxygen. The Fermzilla is just so attractive as they've clearly looked at it properly from a brewer's point of view.

You might also want to try splitting the finished beer at kegging into 2 half size kegs, as headspace also plays a role in those volatiles disappearing.

You might also want to try splitting the finished beer at kegging into 2 half size kegs, as headspace also plays a role in those volatiles disappearing.

Had no problem with my hoppy beers since I started kegging. Being able to purge with CO2 has improved my beers more than I would ever had believed.

Last edited:
I didn't say pressure fermenting was great for lager's, just OK, I have made a lager which took about 3 months and a pressure fermented lager which took about 10 days. The pressure fermented lager wouldn't stand in the the shadow of the conventional lager. Those who make AIPA's seem to like pressure fermenting to get the cleaner hoppy flavour coming through. Don't be put off buying a pressure fermenting vessel even if you make mainly ales and stouts, get a good robust ferment to get rid of the unwanted volatiles then cap towards the end to carbonate the beer for a natural carbonation. Just be aware the drawbacks for the PET fermenters are short life, and cannot be rinsed out with water warmer than 40C, or stored in a similar temperature, keep out of sunlight to prevent UV degradation.

I have just completed a stout in my fermentasauraus. It cam out diffrent tasting to normal. Really creamy and smooth.

Latest posts

Back