FG 1.022 Hefweizen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarenceBoddicker

Reaction score
I brewed my first GF beer in a while, copy of Brussels Beer Project's Big Bertha. Their own recipe has OG of 1.068 finishes at 1.020. Mine started 1.064 and is 1.022 2 weeks in. The temp is slightly lower than I wanted due to a rubbish fridge but wonder if it is finished fermenting? The recipe put into GF app has a FG of 1.012. Tastes really good, quite heavy on banana aroma. I know I should probably leave for another week and check readings every couple of days but just wanted a quick sanity check. Recipe attached, cheers in advance!

Attachments

• temp.pdf
    892.4 KB · Views: 74
Leave it a week.

If you're reading this with a refractometer your reading is incorrect due to the presence of alcohol. You must use a hydrometer or find a correction table on the internet.

Leave it a week.

If you're reading this with a refractometer your reading is incorrect due to the presence of alcohol. You must use a hydrometer or find a correction table on the internet.
Thanks DWhite I'm using a hydrometer but yes will leave another week. Temp between 19 and 21 degrees and not the 25 I wanted.

Well I've left it another week after agitating and bumping the temp up to 22/23 degrees. The airlock started again for a few days but checked with hydrometer and still 1.022. Stuck fermentation? Do I dump it into another fv and get some more yeast in or risk crash cool and bottle? The recipe said bottle at 1.020 but my GF recipe says 1.012. Decisions...

I wouldn’t worry too much. I brewed a Hefe a few weeks ago with an OG of 1.052 and my recipe builder estimated FG to be 1.014 but my beer stopped at 1.020 and didn’t budge. I was a bit concerned but bottled it anyway and it turned out great.

Also, you’re only 6 gravity points out in real terms. The Bertha drops 48 points and yours has dropped 42. Plus, you’ve tasted it and it was really good. Call that a draw and bottle/keg it ASAP.

Thanks Maxonian, that was my inclination. Still tastes good so fingers crossed even better when carbed, cold and conditioned.

Latest posts

Back