Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my beer is bottled and fizzy, but won't clear... Been in bottle for 3 weeks now. Perhaps I'm just being impatient but I'm sure it didn't take this long before. Ho hum. Just have to forget about it for a month or so.
Clearing doesn't bother me if it tastes good I'll drink it. Ginger beer has authenticity about it when cloudy.

I drunk many bottles of cloudy wine when I first started as i didn't have a bucket clip so siphoning was a bit of a challenge, it didn't make us ill.

I'm all up for authenticity, but ginger beer that tastes like yeast is just plain bad! I'll give it some time.

Tip: don't post while drinking beer or wine

I have edited both

I posted that on 16-06-2016 at 06:13 AM just before leaving for work, bloody phones and sausage fingers i hate them both. :lol:

Well bottled this last night, pretty much made to recipe. tasted pretty fiery, goodness know what it will be like with a fizz! :)

Was pretty cloudy and had a bitch of a time racking to the bottling bucket with all the fruit and ginger clogging up the muslin over the siphon tube, but got there.

Any ideas how to make the racking any easier and keeping the junk out?

Well bottled this last night, pretty much made to recipe. tasted pretty fiery, goodness know what it will be like with a fizz! :)

Was pretty cloudy and had a bitch of a time racking to the bottling bucket with all the fruit and ginger clogging up the muslin over the siphon tube, but got there.

Any ideas how to make the racking any easier and keeping the junk out?

Hi!
I ended up baling out with a sanitised jug through a muslin-draped kitchen sieve.
I'm thinking of lining the fermenter with a BIAB bag next time. It may need a good squeeze at the end, but should work.
I also thought about trying an experimental small batch and discarding the gunge after the initial boil, then tasting the finished product alongside the original.

how long should this be in my primary fermenter for ?

At least as long as it takes to finish fermenting, and then a bit more. I left mine for 16 days before racking it off the ginger, then bottled the next day. This was plenty for the yeast to ferment and clean up.

Drinking this now, 6% so I'm mixing it with lemonade. It's very harsh on its own but quite refreshing with lemonade. I've 19L of the stuff in a corny!

Have you tried thinning it down with vodka, as in the Moscow Mule?

i have yet to do this + mine is now in the king keg and isnt too bad, i will get dates and gravity readings 2moz as its deffo 1 i will be making again :tongue:

After seeing all the good reactions to this recipe, I made this last week for my lady. Stuck to the recipe mostly, but replaced some of the sugar with DME for extra mouthfeel.

After bubbling away for a couple of days I had a taste yesterday, and the ginger flavor was great: spicy but not too strong. However, it was a bit sour and like my gf put it: it tasted and smelled more like 'ginger white wine'. I planned to backsweeten a bit with some stevia or so when I bottle, and I used a champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) like the recipe states.

I thought this yeast would be neutral and not impart any flavor. Will these sour / wine flavors go away after some longer time in the fermentor or on the bottle? Or will some added sweetness and carbonation take the edge off enough?

After seeing all the good reactions to this recipe, I made this last week for my lady. Stuck to the recipe mostly, but replaced some of the sugar with DME for extra mouthfeel.

After bubbling away for a couple of days I had a taste yesterday, and the ginger flavor was great: spicy but not too strong. However, it was a bit sour and like my gf put it: it tasted and smelled more like 'ginger white wine'. I planned to backsweeten a bit with some stevia or so when I bottle, and I used a champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) like the recipe states.

I thought this yeast would be neutral and not impart any flavor. Will these sour / wine flavors go away after some longer time in the fermentor or on the bottle? Or will some added sweetness and carbonation take the edge off enough?

i know what you mean, i was thinking to just use more sugar next time and maybe some glycerin so its got a diffrent feel on the mouth ?

i know what you mean, i was thinking to just use more sugar next time and maybe some glycerin so its got a diffrent feel on the mouth ?

Mouthfeel was pretty good in my batch; adding some dry malt extract really helps with that. Adding more sugar will just result in more alcohol (and a quite thin brew).
I was talking more about some sour flavors, very dry and reminiscent of white wine. Primed and bottled it now after some back sweetening with Stevia, hoping it mature out a bit on the bottle. Now that it's sweeter it's already very drinkable and I'm sure drinking it cold and carbonated will improve it even more!

Mouthfeel was pretty good in my batch; adding some dry malt extract really helps with that. Adding more sugar will just result in more alcohol (and a quite thin brew).
I was talking more about some sour flavors, very dry and reminiscent of white wine. Primed and bottled it now after some back sweetening with Stevia, hoping it mature out a bit on the bottle. Now that it's sweeter it's already very drinkable and I'm sure drinking it cold and carbonated will improve it even more!

i had a friend comment on the sourness of it- he said it reminded him of toilet cleaner because of the lemon and lime - but to me and my old man it got a wicked taste - so i suppose you cant win em all:whistle:

Back