Filtering beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soton

some random guy
Reaction score
This week I will be kegging a own recipe best bitter and I am going to filter between kegs
I am doing this as I want to take a keg or two with me when we go on holiday and I want to try and eliminate sediment from clouding the beer when I move or transport the beer, I have made the beer quite hoppy just in case the filter extracts a bit of the hop oils and dilutes the hoppyness. I will be using a 1 micron filter so it should not effect the flavour all that much, this keg will be a test before our holiday in October.
What I was wondering was has anyone any experience with filtering beer and transporting it around and so has anyone any tips that might be useful to know?

I just tried filtering for the first time, between cornies, using this (1 micron reusable filter), as I just got it.
IMG_20160710_193822_zps00f5vofo.jpg
IMG_20160710_194013_zpsmvy4qzcx.jpg

Unfortunately the beer was already carbonated, so was a bit frothy, but it has come out fairly clear. I can't wait to try it on beer straight out of the FV...

Unfortunately I have no real tips - I had the send keg at 30psi and it was flowing through before I stopped to wonder if the filter could take that much :doh: but it was fine (dropped it to 15, and kept releasing from the receive keg). Slow & steady :lol:

It seems filtering is done more in the USA as its suppose to help speed up aging but as I can make more beer then I can drink that's not my reason, I believe if you are going to filter it is better to leave it in the fermenter longer or move it to secondary for a while, I have left my beer ferment then clean it's self up for 19 days and now I am cold crashing it for a few days before it goes into the keg

Make sure to flush the filter with CO2. Cleaning a matter of course.
Here is a good video.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNRBDgkBEQ[/ame]

I guess it all depends on how long your holiday will be. :thumb:

When we went to France last September I took a King Keg Top-Tap with us, strapped into the passenger seat of our motorhome.

(SWMBO sits in the back after I praised her sister for not doing the "Mind that cyclist!" routine from the passenger seat. You know the one! It's where you need a pair of binoculars to see the cyclist!) :whistle: :whistle:

The brew was transferred directly from the FV to the KK and primed the day before we left. I think the rocking sped up the carbonation process (but the "tap-tapping" of the Top-Tap floating bit got on my nerves) and as a result the brew was amazingly clear and drinkable within a week!

This September, to last me three months, I will be taking a couple of ready to drink MKs (that will be kept as calm as possible in the wardrobe), the KK in the passenger seat as before and another six recently primed MKs in the trailer.

Just +/- 62 litres? Hmmm! I may get another KK if the Euro doesn't improve!! :whistle: :whistle:

I am taking two corny's, one with beer and one with a fruit cider for the women, I intend to dispense it using a tap and 16g co2 bulb injector

I watched the video and it was well made and easy to follow, I will be doing my filtering pretty much like that but I think I will push some starsan through the filter just to make sure it's not harbouring any nasty's that might spoil the beer

How much beer is lost in the filter I wonder

Very little as I think the co2 pushes pretty much all of the beer into the receiving keg, I would expect that it evens out as you should be able to drink the keg dry as there should be no trub or sediment left in the bottom of the keg

I was thinking about this thread earlier, would filtering when serving work? It would do away with the worry of infection for the whole keg and you could just rinse the filter after each use.

I have filtered before, it works just fine via gravity but I'd only consider it for a clear crisp lager for serving to friends.

I was thinking about this thread earlier, would filtering when serving work? It would do away with the worry of infection for the whole keg and you could just rinse the filter after each use.

I have filtered before, it works just fine via gravity but I'd only consider it for a clear crisp lager for serving to friends.

It could work..... No I am sure it dose work, I am not sure where they serve beer this way but some brewery/brewery's, probably in the U.S use a Randal when serving and they force the beer through different hops on its way to the beer tap to give the beer a fresh hop boost and that can't be much difference then filtering it on the way to the tap

Latest posts

Back