First attempt at Home Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_1

Reaction score
I started my first attempt at home brewing 10 days ago with a Woodforde's Wherry kit, but fermentation is taking longer than I expected:
O.G 1041 Fri 16 Oct
S.G 1014 Mon 26 Oct
Wort temp. 19 degC

SG fell to 1018 by day 5 (counting from day 1 when I pitched the yeast), but has been slow to fall further. I fitted an airlock on day 5, and this has been bubbling at approx. every 1 - 2 minutes since.

Is this usual with this kit (bearing in mind that the instructions provided say it should all be over in 4 - 6 days)? Should I wait until all activity ceases before bottling?

Can't say about that kit, but wait for the same hydrometer reading a couple of days running before you move on to the next stage. Kit instructions are renowned for being out with their timings....

Yeah defo leave it if it's still bubbling. Never done that kit before but I would say leave it for at least 14 days. Perhaps try to raise the temp by one or two degrees, no more, to see if that speeds things up?

You have done reasonably well to get down to SG1014 using the kit yeast without it sticking at SG1020. So for that :thumb:. Mine stuck at 1020 and ended up at 1014.
Now is the time to start checking your SG every day or so. The same reading on at least two consecutive days means its finished. However, as you may have read on here, even if it has finished leaving it for 14 days or for a little while longer won't do any harm before you bottle or keg it, especially since this kit seems to have yeast that is slow to clear (imo) and leaving it will mean less carry over into bottles/keg.

Thanks All for your advice. I'll just be patient a little longer. Activity seems to be slowing now, with the airlock bubbling every 2 to 2.5 minutes, so it looks like it's getting there.

I never did that kit either but it seems a notorious one for sticking at 1020 , I think 1014 and still going is pretty good result.. Just leave it like others say and bottle it (or keg if you're going that way)

Well I finally bottled it on 3rd Nov with the FG at 1.013, 18 days after pitching the yeast. Filled 41 x 500ml bottles primed with a syrup made up of wort and 75g caster sugar (I only used caster sugar as it was what was in the cupboard). Kept the bottles in the kitchen for 10 days, by which time there was a sediment deposit in the bottom of the bottles and the beer had cleared. Then moved them to the garage (temp 13 degC).

Opened a bottle to sample on Saturday. Was generally pleased with the result, although the beer was flatter than I expected. What I wanted to achieve was the level of carbonation you get with commercial bottled beers such as Spitfire etc. Can anyone suggest how much sugar would be needed to do this?

I usually use 1/2tsp of table sugar for ales and 1tsp for lagers per 500ml bottle. For stouts, the jury's still out as I always seem to bottle my stouts into 600ml bottles so I'm leaning towards 1tsp per bottle. It's a good starting place, you can tweak as per your individual taste as you go along.

I have never had a kit finish within the time stated on the can. My normal kit a Scottish heavy states 5 ~ 10 days even holding right on the 24ºC limit never had one finish in less than 14 days. Normal is 20 days. It states temperature 18 ~ 24ºC and I hold it at 19.5ºC to start with then after a few days move to 20ºC mainly as at start it can run away a bit I have come to look at it and sitting at 23ºC. I only heat I have no ability to cool.

Before having temperature control I always blamed the room temperature for long brew time. But now I know it's just kits always seem to under estimate how long they will take.

Just tried another bottle, but this time I decanted it into a jug before pouring a glass. It's surprising what a difference that makes - nice head, good clarity and beer seems lively enough. Also, a bit longer conditioning time (now 16 days in bottle) has made the beer better balanced, a noticeable improvement on the first 2 bottles.

I'm really pleased with the result now, and would be happy to be served this in a pub!

Latest posts

Back