First ever ag brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay-jay

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

tuesday march 24, 2010 was my very first AG brewday! (thanks to brewstew for the ag how-to guide.

I brewed 'FOOLS GOLD' an IPA style recipe

basically it was MO pale malt, Crystal malt and a bit of torrified wheat
Photo-0066.jpg

hopped with Pacific gem 90 mins,
Photo-0068.jpg

and Aurora 15 mins (recipe 44 IBU)
Photo-0069.jpg

i started at 9.50 am...an hour later than planned because i had to drive back home (i brew at my dads) cos i'd forgot the extension lead, and the tap connector for the chiller wouldn't go on dads square taps so i swung by homebase for one that would work!

The set up!
HLT into Mashtun
Photo-0064.jpg

Mashtun into Boiler
Photo-0065.jpg

close up of inside the Boiler
Photo-0063.jpg

10.20 hlt water to strike temp of 74 degrees
doughed in and put to sleep
Photo-0070.jpg

mash temp was only 62 degrees! hope this is ok?? i think i took too long doughing in and also i think i should have stirred the HLT water to ensure an even reading before taking the temp. aah well lesson learned!

90 mins and one sausage butty later....ladies and gentlemen i proudly present...the Wort
Photo-0071.jpg

Heating to the boil....looks a bit like the moon!
Photo-0073.jpg

the Boil starting to break through!
Photo-0074.jpg

The rolling boil....cunningly obscured by steam on the camera!
Photo-0077.jpg

straining, aerating and filling the fermenter
Photo-0078.jpg

showing the strainer set up in perspective
Photo-0079.jpg

i managed to get the required 27 litres for the boil by adding 1 and a half litres of water to the boil, i ended up with more or less the required 23 litres in f.v (looks just more than 22.5) so i'm happy!

tested the gravity and i hit the required 1.047 very pleased with this! when using beer engine i had to guess efficiency as 80%, as i hit my target does this mean i'm 80 percent efficient???

lessons learned.

1. brew beer ...its great!
2. stir HLT water before taking temp reading!
3. my syphon pipe fell off in the HLT so that needs sorting for next time
4. brew beer ...its great!

All in all i couldn't have hoped for better results with my first brewday...i just hope it turns out ok! but from pics of other members brewdays it seems that each stage resembled what it should! so i have high hopes. My next brew is going to be a blonde ale, followed swiftly by a stout then a bitter. all that remains to be seen is whether i can carry over some consistency to my future brews or whether yesterday was beginners luck!

KJ :party:

Well done :thumb:
Looks Good, it's not as hard as it seems is it :D

You'll enjoy drinking it for sure :cheers:

:clap: well done looks like it all went well - you won`t look back ;)

recipe sounds great pacific gem is a great bittering hop and your wort looked a great colour, i`ve done a few brews simular to this one that have turned out great :cool: what yeast are you pitching - I would reccomend US-05 with pale ales, amber malt is a great grain to use for a golden colour to :thumb:

happy brewing

Well done :clap:

Great pics - I like the "alien" face you managed with the boil :D

Yep... nice one :thumb:

Get them stocks in place for the summer BBQ's.... you'll no doult impress your mates :cheers:

Nice one kay-jay, you've obviously put in quite a bit of time over your homework and getting your kit ready, so I'm well pleased for you that your first brewday seems to have worked out so well.

Welcome to the dark side :cheers:

hi everyone,

thanks very much for all your positive and encouraging comments, i consider myself duly patted on the back!

i hope the results are as positive as the actual brewday was, time will tell!
my second brew is gonna be either a bitter with a similar profile to goiliath ale by wychwood or a styrian stunner, i'm gonna be brewing it next tuesday so look out for new posts........

regards

KJ :drunk: :grin: :grin:

I can recommend the styrian stunner, it was my very first AG brew and I was very impressed with it. Infarct, ive got 100 grams of Styrians in the freezer so I might get another one on the go.

thanks for the comments guys!

its quite amazing really but its only 9 weeks since i began my brewing journey. in that short space of time ive done a tc, an all extract ale (nasty) a coopers lager kit, and a coopers stout kit, built a brewery out of placcy buckets and done an all grain brew! :shock:

talk about gettin the bug :party:

KJ :D :D

Latest posts

Back