First Gold Yorkshire Bitter - BIAB with Peco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of like EKG but has a richer, fruitier, more orangey flavour. That's my take. I've never (yet) read of anyone disliking them. Some hops seem to divide people, others don't seem to offend anybody.

Cue the barrage of people who hate First Gold! :-D

Not much of a hop expert but I dont think it tastes like EKG at all. I like First Gold much better. EKG tastes quite honey like to me but First Gold doesn't taste very honey like but quite orangey

Not much of a hop expert but I dont think it tastes like EKG at all. I like First Gold much better. EKG tastes quite honey like to me but First Gold doesn't taste very honey like but quite orangey

Yes they are different. Think First Gold were bred from WGV hops. They are orangey, but not in a massive way.

I must get better at describing flavours - I just know this is bloody gorgeous.

Ordered some more hops yesterday and First Gold was on my shopping list. Although I am definately in a hoppy pale ale phase at the moment this bitter is too good to not make again soon.

Thanks everyone for describing First Gold.

I'm doing a couple of 10L experimental brews using single cans from the bargain £15 Wilko Wherry kits, one is already on (a sort-of Hobgoblin clone with additional grains and hops) and I'll make the other one up just using First Gold, we'll see how it turns out. :cheers:

First Gold is a great choice for dry hopping British ales, IMO. If you like Wherry, I'm sure the dry hop will give it a great boost.

A neighbour who was home brewing but has stopped due to weight gain has passed me a couple of just out of date kits - one is a wherry. I may do a full length BIAB brew with first gold but then split it between 2 x 23l fermenters and use one can of wherry in each. A large scale partial mash to use the free wherry kit to make 46litres of first gold gorgeousness sounds like a plan.

Using some brewlab yeast as the kit yeast is out of date - and well known for sticking during fermentation.

It does. :thumb:

Might be worthwhile doing something different in each fv though, to compare. Different yeast, different dry hops.

Yes, I am doing less and less cycling and more and more brewing.

The cycling is hard work and beer tastes so good :shock:

I can feel a new years resolution coming in :lol:

Hook your burner up to your bike so your burner is peddle powered. Then you wont be able to make any beer without having a proper work out first :-D

Latest posts

Back