Fitting a 2nd Element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning All,

I have a 2nd 2.4kW element, which is currently sitting in a cupboard doing nothing.

I am thinking of fitting it to my 50ltr stainless boiler as a way of speeding up the heating time and also I didn't think the boil of 30ltr was 'vigorous' with the one on it's own. Before I ruin my pot by putting a big hole in the side, I have a couple of questions:-

• I'm no expert on household electrics - will it cope with running 2 x elements?
  • Using a Q Max cutter, do I just need to drill a pilot hole and thread the bolt through?
  • These elements seem to be 40mm on the threaded part, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

2.4kW = 10 amps, so if your other element is the same, you are looking at 20 amps. Depends on the capacity of the circuit you are running it off. For the q max, yes a pilot hole big enough to take the bolt is required, the cutter does the rest. As for the 40mm thread, sorry can't help you with that one.

Thanks MM. Just looked at the fuse box and it has 2 x 32A breakers, presumably one for downstairs and one for up (they're not marked)? So providing not much else is in use apart from the fridge/freezer it may be ok? Our house is probably 15-20 years old, so will have 'modern' electrics.

That should be ok. Keep an eye on it when you use it, and if I were you get a plug in RCD to run it off. I'm not an electrician, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt!

Sorry, I mislead you a bit, the main breaker is 100A, with 2 x 32A and then a few others for lights etc. I would run it from two seperate sockets I think, rather than both in a double, just to be on the safe side. I'll have a look for a RCD (not sure what this is yet!)

Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back