Fobbing with 5L Stainless Steel mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a couple of 5L mini kegs with ball lock lids which I use for kegging and force carbonating. I usually brew 30L and put 19 in a standard corny keg and then fill the two mini kegs.

I can carbonate the corny perfectly using force carbonation but I can't carbonate and serve from the mini kegs without causing huge amounts of fobbing. I've got a decent flow control tap but even at the slowest setting I just pour a pint of foam.

For the corny kegs I set the gas to 30psi and rock and roll the keg for 5 minutes then serve under 13psi. With the mini kegs I've cut the time and pressure down to 1 minute of shaking at 20psi and serving at 8-10. It still pours a pint of foam.

I don't think it was quite as bad when I first got them but it has been very foamy for a long time. I did need to replace the dip tubes at one point as they went manky but I am sure the issue had started before then and I'm using the same ID tubing as it needs to push onto the base of the lid so wouldn't work with a different diameter tubing.

Any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_130207.jpg
    IMG_20191103_130207.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back