Fridge Makes Beer Cloudy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I have a IPA I made a several weeks ago whilst in the bottle in the storage cupboard its perfectly clear (bottles are light green but can clearly be seen through), once chilled in the fridge the beer becomes cloudy & difficult to see through the bottle, this is not condensation on the bottle but cloudy beer within.

Has anyone else seen this or know what the cause is?

I don't make beer but i have seen this in wines, this may help.

Easily put, chill haze is the result of haze-producing proteins that reside in the beer. They do not react unless chilled, at which point they clump together. At that point, they become visible enough to reflect light. Since the particulates are white in color, they give the appearance of haze. These proteins are slightly heavier than the beer, so given enough time in the fridge (potentially weeks), or in cold temperature, they will fall out of suspension.

Thanks for the advice, I had just come across the same conclusion (after some Googling) before heading back here, looks like the missus needs a new fridge as this one is now where near big enough to store my beer + food for long enough for the protein to fall out of suspension.......

I have a IPA I made a several weeks ago whilst in the bottle in the storage cupboard its perfectly clear (bottles are light green but can clearly be seen through), once chilled in the fridge the beer becomes cloudy & difficult to see through the bottle, this is not condensation on the bottle but cloudy beer within.

Has anyone else seen this or know what the cause is?

Is this an all grain beer?

I've seen it only in two brews . Brupaks pilsner. And Brupaks German wheat beer.

No it was a Coopers Brewmaster Selection IPA.

1st brew after starting home brewing again, brewed it with 500g of Pale DME and 750g normal household sugar.

There are solutions to the problem when you are all grain brewing such as hot break/cold bread during and after the boil which precipitates a lot of the protein in the form of trub. When you are brewing with kits this is not possible and probably your only way out is a period of cold conditioning as already suggested. Did you fine the beer before bottling?

Did not fine the beer, on bottling it was clearer than after refrigeration, have never needed finings previously.

Yes that's happening to me with the ever depedable Coopers Lager. My guess is that the temperature drop from garage to fridge is twice what it is Spring / Autumn and this is possibly making it much more noticable.

Since it is a cosmetic problem from what I can see, I don't suppose it's worth fretting over. It's slightly annoying that at the time of year you want a light, pale beer, the chill hazing is worst.

As others have said, it is a cosmetic issue...when chilled, proteins that are soluble at higher temperatures clump together and form the visible chill haze.

If you can chill the beer down in the fermenter to below the temperature it will be served at and hold it there for 3-4 days, all of the haze forming proteins will drop out. It is best to do this as close to zero as possible and I add aux. finings to help the process along.

Latest posts

Back