Fridge question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
Ok so this maybe a really stupid question but, I have a small larder freezer doing nothing in the garage. Would it be possible to convert it to a temperature controlled fermentation chamber in the same way as I've seen others do with a fridge?:wha:

Ok so this maybe a really stupid question but, I have a small larder freezer doing nothing in the garage. Would it be possible to convert it to a temperature controlled fermentation chamber in the same way as I've seen others do with a fridge?:wha:

Don't see why not. As long as it's big enough to take your FV should work a treat.

Thinking of the same thing myself - I've got one that got pushed back against the wall and wore a hole through the coolant pipe, so it's scrap though it looks in good nick otherwise. I have problems maintaining fermentation temps in summer as our house is quite cool then due to thick stone walls and no heating - so I was thinking of using the fridge with a low wattage aquarium heating mat under the FV.

In that case I may give it a go. I was thinking of trying a lager so may be able to use this and ferment at a low enough temp. Cheers both.

You wont regret having a fermentation chamber! Being able to control the temps of my brews was one of the best things I ever did in terms of my setup. Largers, cold conditioning, varying temps to adjust flavour... all possible.

I've had my temp fridge for a little over 3 years and its never once switched the heater on - I've now disconnected it. Fermentation is exothermic and I find fridges are insulated well enough to hold it perfectly.

Good luck

I have now done four brews in my temp controlled fermentation fridge. The difference shows in the finished product. No off flavours whatsoever. Previously I struggled to keep my brews at a constant temp and I think this showed with an 'home brewed' tasting beer. As Kngsze states you won't regret having a fermentation fridge.

Get an STC-1000 a look for some guides on here (mine in fact!) for wiring it up. This can then turn the freezer on and off to cool things down and turn a bulb/aquarium heater/tube heater on to warm things up. The STC-1000 is set to your desired temp' and it will switch each on and off to maintain a higher or lower temperature than ambient using the included probe.

Latest posts

Back