FV heat tolerance?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee117

Reaction score
Hello, I'm making my first beer today and I don't have a wort chiller, so I Was thinking could I add 1/3 cold water to the Wort and pour into the FV or could I let it sit for 10-20 mins and then pour it in?

Or dose anybody have any good techniques they can share

Thanks

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

You could add cold water after you finish boiling to bring it to around 70c and then let it cool. That's if you have any late hop additions. Have a search for "no chill" and you will find plenty of info. Loads of people on here do it myself included with no problems.

Hello, I'm making my first beer today and I don't have a wort chiller, so I Was thinking could I add 1/3 cold water to the Wort and pour into the FV or could I let it sit for 10-20 mins and then pour it in?

Or dose anybody have any good techniques they can share

Thanks

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Many years ago when I started all grain brewing, I used to carry a hot and heavy fermenting bin containing the wort and place it in the bath. I then filled the bath up to the top with cold water. It worked but I glad I don't have to do that any more! :-)

You could cool it down by adding water, or you could add 2L bottles of bottled water to the freezer and, once brewed, cut them open and chuck 'em in to drop the wort temp a lot more than adding water would. I worked out a formula to calculate exactly what the temperature would be after the ice cubes are added (see this thread). The hotter the wort the quicker the temperature drops, so you could drop it to 50C in the fridge then add 3 2L "ice cubes" to hit pitching temp. I tested it out a couple of times and hit the numbers exactly.

Back